UWOL #1 "Birdlife over Crete" by Brendan Marnell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Brendan,

Your footage on the vultures was stupendious, I really appreciated the overhead view, something you have to really work to get. I liked the gentle music too.

Curiously, was this a pair doing courtship, or perhaps hanging about a nesting territory?

It must have been great to get to some warm climate this time of year too!!!

What did you shoot the footage with and what presets did you use?? 30P ?
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #17
Major Player

Hello Dale,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
Curiously, was this a pair doing courtship, or perhaps hanging about a nesting territory?

They may have been courting and scouting for a nest site. More usually Griffon vultures, adult and juvenile, are seen in pairs because the juvenile has so much to learn by practising flight in the company of an adult; flying lessons are crucial to a vulture's ability to climb high, up to 3 miles. They don't kill prey, they only scavange at the carcases killed by others or by nature. To arrive early at such feeding opportunities they survey as wide an area as possible. That's why climbing high is a matter of survival.

It must have been great to get to some warm climate this time of year too!!!

This footage was shot in Crete in November, pleasantly warm then.

What did you shoot the footage with and what presets did you use?? 30P ?

Canon XM2 (GL2) using factory presets; 3 weeks, shooting every day. I don't know yet what 30p means?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #18
Wrangler

i can't comment on quality, specifically, but i'm blown away by how much your shooting technique has developed! really and truly!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #19
Major Player

This is the time to acknowledge how much your encouragement and advice over recent years has pushed a cheerful old man along towards better things, big and small.

The user-friendly organisation and layout of UWOL #1 is also greatly to your credit. In Randy's language you deserve a bombardment of Thanks.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #20
Wrangler

thanks, brendan, but kevin and mat get the props for the website! i'm merely the conductor, they're the ones playing the pretty notes....

just seeing how much you've developed through your participation on the UWOL forum gives me high hopes for how much we can all grow our skills witht regular UWOL Challenges...which is, of course, the point. besides the having fun part!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #21
Wrangler

thanks, brendan, but kevin and mat get the props for the website! i'm merely the conductor, they're the ones playing the pretty notes....

just seeing how much you've developed through your participation on the UWOL forum gives me high hopes for how much we can all grow our skills witht regular UWOL Challenges...which is, of course, the point. besides the having fun part!

and i must say, i'm having a grand ol' time, so far.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge