life in the sky at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

life in the sky

Well,

As I said in a prior post I waited and weaited for some real winter weather but we never had it come in the given time frame. Originally I wanted to have it titled death in the sky, but had to settle for what you see. I wasn't going to bother but my wife told me if everyone did that there would be no contest. So we went out and shot sunday afternoon. After seeing others it givers one inspiration to do better next time.

So I am open to constructive criticism at this point. Yes, I do need to be more stable!!!!
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Dale
You need to win this contest.:-) It looks like you have some good wildlife opportunities. A good tripod will help you a lot. They can be a pain to get set up in time but if you can it's worth it. Do snowy owls show up very often where you are? Once in awhile I see them here later in the winter.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dale:

There was some cool footage in there. I wish you had the time to treat it the way you wanted to. I think it would have turned out great. It was a good job given the time frame you worked in.

Closing credits were difficult for me to read though.

Thanks for sharing the amazing footage.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Decent video Dale, thanks for not giving up! I enjoyed it.

I would recommend a tripod tho. Even a cheap 20 dollar wal-mart tripod for the video of the owl sitting in its nest.

Sounds like you got yourself an excellent Wife, good for you!
~Gabriel
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Dale.
I must agreed with the others 'bout the tripod, but then again, I've been there many times, with my camera and no tripod with me, but I had to shoot and of cause the clips went a bit shaky, thats life :)
I loved your snow owl, we have some in Norway too, but they are hard to get, so I think you've done a great job just catching this bird on tape. They are also on the "red list" because there is so few of them.
By the way...
I see in your profile you live in Canada, but your surname, is it scandinavian?
We have a lot of people in Norway with the same surname, spelled: Guttormsen, i'm a nosey guy :)
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dale,

I was very impressed with your ability to stay on those fast moving birds. I am a raptor bander and watcher from way back and I know how fast that falcon was stooping on the pigeon...heck you're lucky if you can follow them with your eyes sometimes. I own a tripod...an old bogen...with a head that came with it that is mostly for still photography. I use it a lot. But, there are times when I just grab the camera (sometimes even off of the tripod) to catch things moving directly overhead. My camera will only rotate so far up.

I really enjoyed the footage and I sure hope we will see more in the future.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Nice film. Looks like you have some great opportunities!

Always cool to see raptors. I used to have a falconry license years ago.

Work on steadying those shots and you're gonna be a dangerous man!
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Major Player

I was really impressed by the snowy owl- beautiful footage. Also, i liked the time lapse effect of the sky shots.

As everyone said, tripods are a good idea. I have mainly been doing still photography the past 10 years or so, and am just getting more seriously into video. One thing I have quickly discovered is that where it's easy to get away without a tripod with a still camera by adjusting the shutter speed or using flash, the video camera is much less forgiving. Any movement seems magnified. I still shoot quite a bit off tripod with the video camera from force of habit, and convenience of carrying it around, but I do now have a tripod, and am trying to use it more.

Great film, I enjoyed it.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Dale!

Am so glad your wife made that argument and won...lol. It was very good to see your film. I even saw that Sheila got to shoot some of it with you. You two will make an excellent video team.

Was that a Snow Owl in the very beginning? Also, where those Sage Hens? Neat to see that you captured different species. On the last shot, you had a time lapse of the sun, clouds and trees. Was that a reflection in a car window? It was a great shot.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Major Player

Some Snowy Owl, great camouflage in the wild. I've only seen footage of captive snowy owls and they never look serious. The mid-air strike was far away but showed threat just the same.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #11
Inner Circle

questions answered

Thank you al for taking the time to look at the clip.

I have a tripod with a fluid head. The problem arrises in that getting close enough to actually set up a tripod is a major trick!! I am going to make a large bean bag. Beans are so darn expensive I am going to make a maise bag. That will help alot for drive by shootings. I tried a window mount but that really is not functional.

Oh yea, you can only follow a falcon stooping up close by hand. The measured velocity of falcons is as high as 280 miles per hour. when they hit or miss and throw up in the sky the g's have been measured into the 20's.

The Owl was an adult male snowy owl. snowy owls are actually surprisingly fast. I saw an adult female chase a gyrfalcon (unquestionably the fastest falcon in level flight) which was carrying a small partridge and the owl forced the gyrfalcon to drop its quarry or become protien himself.

The game birds were sharp tailed grouse. When out in the open like that they are very spooky and the slightest flicker of a predatory wing and they are gone. Here where I live there are lots of avian predators, nothing is safe.

the setting sun was a little creative lattitude: We had full moon setting in the west as Dawn approached from the other side. There was no reflection, just composed to look the way it was and I just lowered the opacity gradually to make it all go black like night.

you will note that otheres took advantage of the moon far better than I did.

Geir, My last name is norwegian, I still have relatives SE of oslo if I recall correctly.

Next go around will be perfect, Spring in the air here in the northern hemisphere.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.
I promise to do better next time!!!
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
you will note that otheres took advantage of the moon far better than I did.
I think your moonshot was nice with the timelaps. If you want to see more details of the moon you have to adjust aperture setting. What I accomplished with my moonshoot was by setting the shutter to 1/50 and aperture at 11 or something around there.

Quote:
Geir, My last name is norwegian, I still have relatives SE of oslo if I recall correctly.
Wow, then your relatives live in my neighborhood, come on over Dale. It would have been fun to meet you and shoot some film toghether!

Quote:
Next go around will be perfect, Spring in the air here in the northern hemisphere.
Right now the weather have changed from warm temperature and much rain to real winter with temperature below -10 C here in Oslo. In the mountain area temperatures well below -25 C.
So it's a bit before any sign of spring here right now!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge