Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #2 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #61
Major Player

Wow, that is some high heat! Where I live it only gets 90 in the really hot days of the summer. Never this early....

So I was just working on editing my video when out of nowhere, Imovie quit! OMG! There just went an hour of precision work. I am glad I did not match the song to it yet though! That would have really made me mad..
So now I am taking a break and will go back to editing later. I still have one or two scenes to shoot. But I am thinking of staging those since the rain and cool weather is back, lol.

But it sounds like I am not the only one with weather issues.
~Gabriel
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #62
Trustee

The best day around here in a long time was the day I shot my footage. You will see a clear blue sky behind the Tennis Pro giving the lesson. He even mentions the sunshine. Sometimes luck is just on your side.
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #63
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post
Wow, that is some high heat! Where I live it only gets 90 in the really hot days of the summer. Never this early....
~Gabriel
The fun of living in a desert, especially Phoenix, 50 degrees one week, 90 the next, and that's just Winter! I've seen summers where it is above 100 degrees 24 hours a day for weeks!
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM   #64
Major Player

Wow, thats alot of heat...

Ok, so here is where I am. I captured all my video monday, then Imovie broke on me. That made me mad..
Yesterday I got back at it and spent my entire evening working on editing (Saving after every click! lol). Then at around 11 pm (still editing) my brother tells me that my mom does not want the name of the park shown (Its in three clips), so here I am, thinking that all that work was wasted. Then, this morning, I was trying to expert thinking, maybe my mom will let me leave them in. After many attempts at getting the video to the right sizes', I decided to go ahead and ask what she meant about it. Then she tells me the same thing. So I leave it for a while and get working on school stuff. Then I thought I came up with an idea, so I headed out to try it. That idea was to export EVERY FRAME of the clips that had it on it and just blur it out in the gimp, since Imovie does not have a tool like that. Then my brother tells me that it would take way to long (and yes, I was prepared to not get any sleep until midnight tomorrow), and so he came up with a way to do it in Avid Free DV, so now we are trying to import it and export it. But all the exports look like something from a horror flick off of youtube! So now I am having a hole lot of troubles with that....

But I did not give up! I made it this far, I am not going to quit now!
So, time for some caffeine and a hole lot of patients.

Wish me luck!
~Gabriel
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post
Wow, thats alot of heat...

But I did not give up! I made it this far, I am not going to quit now!
So, time for some caffeine and a hole lot of patients.

Wish me luck!
~Gabriel

The force is strong in this one...
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM   #66
Trustee

Well, mine's finished and I'm uploading it now.
Even though I was pretty much limited to one day of filming, I had allot of fun doing this one.
Hopefully, you guys will like it. :)
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM   #67
Trustee

Hi Meryem!

My tale of wonder... I just had the most splendid time filming and producing the UWOL 2 challenge video. Thanks for getting me out there, and throwing out the challenge. Unexpectedly it fell together without a hitch and I had so much fun.

My tale of woe... This video developed a story line and it pushed the maximum length it could be. Thus, getting the video down to just under 50 mb for the challenge (I read your hints on this, Thank you!), it lost a bit of resolution. Oh well! It's the name of the game! Great challenge. Thanks for everything!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM   #68
Major Player

Good news, I will be uploading my film before the days end tomorrow! Yay for me!

I just have to get the file size down small enough. And I think I am almost there. Unfortunately, odds are that you wont be able to read the text. :(
And that was one of the key parts. I will do my best to make it look good with it...

Great job Kevin and Cat! I can not wait to see the films!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
The force is strong in this one...
Haha, thank you again Ken for the fun words of encouragement.

I am already planing my next Starwars fanfilm. Getting everything for it from goodwell and walmart. :) I hope it turns out!

So excited, I can not wait!
~Gabriel
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM   #69
Wrangler

young gabriel stays in the running for the free t-shirt offer. excellent! 2 down, 4 to go!

and, as i said in another thread, congrats to cat. hearing that folks are out there having fun and shooting stuff makes my day! colorado is well-represented this round! phew, let's here it for the home state.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
young gabriel stays in the running for the free t-shirt offer. excellent! 2 down, 4 to go!
That I am!

As posted in another thread, I tried uploading but no luck...

~Gabriel
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #71
Inner Circle

To load using Window IE FTP

Gabriel:

I just learned this myself, so I will pass it on.

Open Microsoft Internet Explorer. (I am using the latest version, so others may vary, a bit.)

type in ftp://uwolchallenge.com, and go to the ftp page.

you should be asked to enter the user id and password Meryem sent you for FTP. I am not sure if she sent each of us different ones, so use one she sent you.

Next, in the tool bar above, select page and in the drop down menu select Open FTP page in Windows Explorer. A new IE window should open. You may have reenter your User ID and password. Once accepted, you can drag and drop your file in the window, wait for it to transfer, then close window. You you should then see your file up in the original window.

Good luck
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM   #72
Major Player

Thanks Chris, but I use a mac. I do have a PC, but I am not sure if it even has it! haha.

Thanks for the help, I'll try and get something to work.
~Gabriel
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM   #73
Trustee

Thanks Gabriel and Meryem:

Your combined enthusiasm is catching! I think I might be coming down with something... Perhaps UWOL 3 fever? I think this challenge is what it is because of the community spirit, the encouragement and hard work from all of you who make it possible, the shared secrets and techniques to get these films to size spec, allowing all of us to play on an equal playing field when we may not be as experienced as others.... and the genuine excitement of all participants to see what everyone else has come up with. Why aren't all contests like this? It will make film-makers of us all!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #74
Trustee

Cat,
I think the genuine excitement you see here is because any(?) of us are in the business, working as full time professionals, but are genuine interested in the beautiful nature that surrounds us.
What I found in this community is your passion and care for each other, as I show you in my uwol2-film, hint, hint ;-)
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM   #75
Wrangler

thanks for the kind words, cat. if we put up a user testimonial section on our website, i'd love to include yours, with your permission.

...but the very best part is still yet to come, when you put up your feedback thread. then you'll find a lot of support and encouragement and the kind of constructive feedback that will really make you a better video producer. and you'll get lots of new ideas from watching how the other players approached it....you get to see all these different parts of the world and you have the opportunity to make new friends. now i have new friends in norway, the UK, the arctic regions...it's great!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge