UWOL #2: "Corvus Corax" by Per Johan Naesje - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #16
Major Player

Wow Per, you are incredible! Even after compression, it looks a billion times better then my camera... I am really jealous. Your footage is outstanding!!!
I think you may have just won Two in a Row (crow, lol.... not funny....)!!!!!

Great stuff, I loved the narration on it. It was really nice. All together, it was the most amazing, awesome, incredible, and outstanding piece of work I have ever scene.

Thank you Per, for being in this contest and showing me something to look forward at.

~Gabriel
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Per Johan, as always you have managed to capture the birds in a very good way.
Even though I feel that the story itself is kinda missing to a certain degree as others have commented too, I think you made a great video. And you definitely show "recreation" in my eyes.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Per,

This is definitely in my top four choices!!! As expected. I loved the ravens grooming each other showing the nicer side of the corvid family!!!!!

did you bait them in?? if not you were pretty darn fortunate to find them!!

I have never seen a white tailed sea eagle!!!! I hav e read about them and imagined they were kind of like a bald eacle with out the white head!! But they are actually quite different!! Truly a great piece of footage!!!!!

so, did you plan it or find the set up and then build around it?? either way it is truly brillant!!

What an inspiration
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #19
Tourist

Very nice, I thought your accent added an interesting dimension to the film. Enjoyed your web site as well.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Chris, I might have misunderstood if the theme is more specific that I was aware of?
First of all, there is no real hard guideline to go by, as far as I know on the themes on the DVInfo, so you are free to interpret as you see fit. The judge will make a final decision on that issue.

However, I also think that you are one of the premiere shooters showing work here. I look forward to seeing all of your material. It is spectacular, and something for the rest of us to aspire to.

Most of us here do our shooting as a hobby, and a leisure time activity, so my feeling was that I could not just go out and shoot whatever I want, and say it quaifies, because its my recreational activity.

From you, I would have liked to see you stretch to filming more on theme rather than use a tenuous connection.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #21
Trustee

I have met a few bird watchers. This is more than a hobby, it is a passion, and since it is the way that he enjoys himself, I think birds were pretty much on topic, for him anyway. It would not have been for me though. For me it would have been shots of Disney World activities. That is how I enjoy myself. Yet people might have not seen that link.

So yes, I can see where people might have taken that as a tenuous link to the theme. Which is partly why I went the way I did. But for Per Johan I think the link was substantial enough.
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #22
Trustee

Per:

Thank you. This is a beautiful and captivating film. Your cinematography is exquisite and I also felt your narration added to the film.

The only detour from your perfection is the abrupt end. We as viewers are so drawn in and captivated by what you are feeding us in visuals that when you quit it's a bit of a jolt.

Thanks for sharing with us such great talent.

Cat Russell
Spike Productions
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #23
Trustee

Important note - I'm not an professional photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Most of us here do our shooting as a hobby, and a leisure time activity, so my feeling was that I could not just go out and shoot whatever I want, and say it quaifies, because its my recreational activity.

From you, I would have liked to see you stretch to filming more on theme rather than use a tenuous connection.
Some of you might think that I am an professional wildlifephotographer but I'm not! I'm only doing this in my sparetime, also the filmproject about the muskoxen is done at my sparetime. I wouldn't been competing here if I was, because that would have been unfair to the rest of this community!

I'm working 100% as an computer engineer at the University of Oslo, so my photo/video skills is self-educated, and of course developed after many, many hours out in the wilderness.
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #24
Trustee

I'm sure you could fool many of us Per.
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Per Johan if anyone think you are a professional, take it as a compliment of your skills. Because you do great artwork with the camera.
Your videos are always good and interesting to watch, and I have learned a lot by watching them.
Keep them coming.

Trond
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Per:

Didn't mean my post to sound disrespectful. Only that you do beautiful stuff on the wild life side, and I would have loved to see it stretched a bit in a new area. Please don't take offense.

And yes, most in this contest are the same-- hobbiests doing this type thing for the fun of it. And that is what I meant, I think these contests are meant to make us stretch outside of what we know...
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #27
Major Player

Per
You got some excellent footage again. You obviously put in the time required to get it. Personally I think you could compete with a lot of the pros and it wouldn’t bother me if you where a pro. I really enjoy watching your videos.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #28
Trustee

My 2 cents...

I personally think Per Johan's work is professional, now at this point he may not be being paid to produce it, but that is not my point. Per's work is of a professional standard. The cinematography, soundtrack, his work in post... all to a professional standard, and something I think we should all strive for.

In this case of UWOL #2, I voted for Mat's entry as #1 over Per because I think he better represented the theme. I don't think that Per didn't represent the theme. Birdwatching in itself is one of the most popular past-times on the planet.

I have a production company, young Gabriel, Meryem and others have production companies... that makes us professionals (theoretically). It doesn't mean we're disqualified from competing.

When you want to enter many film festivals, it is honor just to be selected as an entrant. I have no problem if Steven Dempsey or Jacques Mersereau or other professionals had entries in the challenge.

I don't recall restricting entries when we set up the challenge. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Beautiful footage of some very interesting birds and their behavior. I think you and I and probably Dale too all share a passion for birds and their lives. I've seen a lot of Raven behavior, but most of it has been in their breathtaking aerial displays. This shows me a new aspect of their life...an intimacy I had not seen before.

I know some people might not make much of a connection between bird study or nature study and recreation, but it surely is such for many, many people. It just depends on what you enjoy in the outdoors. For some skiing, hiking, biking and for others collecting native fish, astronomy, studying salamanders, looking at wildflowers...whatever. That's why I think both of these contest themes were brilliant. They allowed so many people to express themselves with their own interpretations. You did it well.

Rick
Rick A. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #30
Trustee

Per, fasinating footage, you took a bird that most of us ignore or concider a pest and showed us yet again the beauty in nature. All you have to do is take the time to look. I will never look at a crow in the same way that I saw them before watching your stunning video. Per Johan, you may not be a "Professional Wildlife Videographer", but you sure as heck are a "GREAT Wildlife Videographer" and an inspriation to us all. Bob Safay

ps. I also have a "production company", (EnviroVision Productions), and I have produced numerous videos/DVD's for both EPA and for my Agency, (not my real job, just what I do in conjuntion with everything else), does that make me a professional?
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge