practice for uwol 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 4th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

practice for uwol 3

Good evening,

Uwol 2 was a lot of fun and between now and then I am getting out and shooting lots of wildlife.

I am working hard at learning to use my heavey tripod without jumping about while panning and such.

Last night we were out and stumbled into a bull moose grazing in a stubble field of all places.
I did not get the pod set up in time and it was amazing how fast they can dissapear.

another thing I want to practice at is using a rack focus.

I got a 100/400 canon lens and I definitely need practice with the push pull lens.

Oh yea, After seeing some of the terrific titles and credits I am going to have to work at that too!!!

Thanks to all for inspiration!! Now its time for perspiration.
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Dale,
I have to tell you a story from my last trip to the muskoxen in the mountains: Last weekend I was staying in tent up in the mountains for 3 nights. A beautiful winter scenery, sunny and almost no wind as high as almost 6000 ft asl. I was packing up my sledge with the gear and put on my snowshoes one morning when a Wolverine suddenly appeared only approx. 150 yards in front of me. I think we both was surprised over each others present!
I had all my gear packed in the sledge and I was afraid that the Wolverine would get away before I was able to get any footage of it. Luckily it didn't and it was moving slowly away from me stopping several times to look for me. I was as slowly as I could packing up my gear, getting the tripod in position and the camcorder ready. The Wolverine was now at approx. 300-400 yards distance from me.
I got several minutes of footage of this beautiful animal, which I haven't seen before in the wild! Guess that I had my day there up in the mountains! Just me and the Wolverine.
I'll try to upload some footage of this later!

So Dale, I know that next time you will get that bull moose. It's all about being on the right place to the right time!
I look forward to view some of your footage shoot with the 100/400 lens.

Best;
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi guys.
It's so nice to read about your experience.
Now I know for sure, I'm not alone ;)
I'm looking forward to see clips from your Wolverine, Per. It's a very shy and mysterious animal, and not so easy to film in the wild.
I'm working on my wildlife project from the west coast of Norway, with main focus on seabirds. Well, after I met the sea otter I've decided to change the main focus on to this beautiful animal. I've been in the same situation as you Dale and Per, several times. Walking along the sea side and then suddenly, there it is, the sea otter. Right in front of me and with my gear in the rucksack. Up with the camera etc, as quiet as possible, and then the otter is gone. But I think this is a part of wildlife filming that we have to "bear".
My rucksack is also too small to fit the hole camera in one piece, but I've order me a new and bigger one ( don't tell my wife, she don't know the price for it - yet).
I also think that what we see in the wilderness, without filming, is part of our learning as wildlife film makers. You have to gather some educational stuff by watching the birds and animals to get to know them properly. By understanding their behaviour and way of life, you're more prepared, and can plan things better for the shooting.
And other times it's all about luck, as Per says; to be on the right spot, at the right time. Now I'm looking forward to Uwol#3 and what theme Meryem will machinate.
I wish everyone in Uwol a Happy Easter Holiday.
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #4
Trustee

WOW per.....I'd love to see some of that footage. If there's quality there I bet your shots would be worth money as stock footage. It a rare animal and even more unusual to get footage of, I didn't even know you had them in Norway.....can't wait! Please mail me when they are ready mdtmail@yahoo.co.uk.

Dale. Quick tip as regards field skills.....which I think takes a life time of learning. Always try and get something in the can. If your going to approach something get a few wides at distance first then think about moving. Be aware of wind direction and try and get down wind of your subject. Also if in the open get something behind you to disguise your silhouette. Hope this helps.

I can't wait for UC3, I'm out and about this week as the weathers getting better..............I wonder what little gem Meryems got in store for us !?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #5
New Boot

Wow a Wolverine.. was watching BBC's planet earth few days ago and they had a shot of a wolverine which they said was the first shots they ever got of one in the wild.... amazing experiance.

its great to hear of your encounters and the areas in which you film... they seem so very differant to the wildlife here. so far i have concentrated on underwater wildlife, so i am looking forward to getting great tips from you all about filming wildlife topside which i want to do more of.

wishing all a happy easter.
Dave Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Per/Mat,

I will make sure I get some distant footage next time that happens and then move for position.

We finally have clear skies and light wind, 15km max which we call a breeze here in the prairies. I am going to film native sharp tailed grouse dancing on their lek tonight and tomarrow. I will post a some of the footage. Keeping it down to 4.5 mg bts is not much time. Wish I had a site to post to.

I personally have never seen a wild wolverine and I have been in their habitat a lot through the decades. A friend was looking for goshawks and filmed a family of animals he had no idea what they were. Was I jaw-struck when I saw a family of wolverines!!!! that would have been in the early 70's. He had no clue how fortunate he was!!!

Oh yea, two things i learned quick shooting at 400mm is lower the tripod for more stability, be on the leeward side of some form of wind break!!!

I can see the need of a ron's rail down the road!!!! the one I am using needs to be heavier. Camera and support are 11lbs 4 ounces
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Trustee

Wolverine footage online!

You'll find it over at the uwol-forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=90799

Enjoy!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge