Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Wrangler

Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #4

okay, since brian is already hijacking the sign-up thread to regale us with his tale of woe, (e.g. "water is boring...."), i better get the storytelling thread started...

for those of you new to UWOL, this is where we share our war stories, the things that are working out, the things that aren't, our complaints about the theme (yes, brian??) or our lousy weather, the amazing stunning beautiful shot that got away, and the simple pleasure of getting out there and shooting stuff with our cameras....

have at it!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Trustee

And off we go... uwoling :)

Ok, folks.
I'm in a hurry, but just to let you know.
I'm off uwoling for the 4th time :)
Two days to my secret islet (thats in writing Meryem).
Equipment?
Fishing rod, One canoe named "Red River Pig", Maps, camera and a lots of memories to catch up with :) And Per, you've been there with me earlier this year. I'll be back on friday morning.

My ferry goes in 15 min, so I'm in a hurry, jusy want to wish you all good luck and all the best for uwol#4 guys & gals.

Geir Inge
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Blimey look at the boy go ! I've got to say Geir gets my vote for pure Uwol enthusiasm....go on fella :)

Last edited by Mat Thompson; July 3rd, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Oops

Put in my place twice in one day LOL. Once by the very Philosophical Kevin....I promise to never speak ill of water ever again.....honest Hahahaha

The second time by the boss....Meryem I fear you much more than I fear Kevin. But I'm sure Kevin fears you as much as I do, hell I'm sure we all do.

I do have an idea for the film but honestly for me it's a matter of finding enough open water. That's right the Lakes are still frozen over.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Brian

At least you don't have to rent a boat !
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Now that's a fact Jim.

That's truly one of those the cup is half full not half empty sort of things LOL or it that the cup is twice the size it needs to be or half the size it should be...damn that always frigs me up.

The weather is coming around its raining right now with a warm breeze blowing so with any luck the ice will break up and I'll be in good shape for the challenge.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Wrangler

if i wasn't so tired from my regularly scheduled work and if i had been bright enough to bring a camera home from the studio, i could have shot a very interesting hail storm last night. big ones falling in my yard. hailstorms always bring the most interesting spooky skies. freaky lighting....
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Oooh, sounds like fun Meryem! It is to bad you did not get it on tape... Those were so fun when I lived in Texas... My Grandma actually had her car totaled due to a hail storm....

I have yet to get anything... not even an idea... I'll probably just wing it again. :)

~Gabriel
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Trustee

Well, then I'm back from my uwol tour.
It's been two wonderful days, me and my canoe alone, seeking fame and glory at the uwol stage :)

I wrote a script before I left, but don't think I can use much of it, so now I just have to put some of it together that fits the topic of water and make a history that will last for 3 min.

How was it, to build a storyline?

Nr 1, The beginning, the over all look - eh?
Nr 2, The main story building up to climax - eh?
Nr 3, The great finale, sailing into the horizon as the sun touches the surface of the sea - eh?

Help me, I'm drowning ;)
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Trustee

Geir,

Glad to hear you had a good time.

It looks like I may have to do a little storyboarding for my film this time around.

I have an ending, but I'm not sure of the beginning or middle yet.

I know how I want it to start and end but I have to keep my fingers crossed that I can get that shot how I envision it in my head.

The middle is totally up for grabs. How I get from the beginning to the end is totally up in the air at the moment.

I found a six minute track that I think may work for the music so now I have to work on chopping it up and making it sound like it's supposed to be only three minutes in length. :)
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #11
Trustee

Hey Kevin. Are you back from Cali fella ? Did you get my last email? I have a feeling we (and Meryem) are having some email speed issues. I'm getting things from Meryem a couple of days after sending and I think its the same the other way round.....thats some slwo down :-/
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Major Player

Went out with my cam on Saturday.Being new to this I pointed the cam at anything that looked like water....On Sunday tried to turn 3 hours of DV into 3 minutes of submit able content.Spent too much time trying to make a 3 minute video look good...Monday morning logged back on here for some more tips and tricks,Just discovered a thing called storyboarding,building the story up to a climax etc etc....oh well will use those next time.I am happy with my first attempt and had so much fun just getting out there and doing it....All I need now is direction as to how to post my video (where) when.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Well,

I came up with an idea and decided to write it out before going out to shoot. After writing the idea out, it was not feasible (I have no access to a helicopter, for example). So I'm back to revamping the idea to a doable format. Now I know why productions go over budget so often ;)

The hard part is that the temps are around 115-120 all last week including the weekend. To get any filming done, I'm going to have to get up around 530am and get done by 9am (it was 93 when i drove to work at 745 am this morning).

But, I did order a new camera that I'm hoping to use to get some really cool POV shots. This will be a fun film to make.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #14
Wrangler

hi john: i'm glad to hear you cooked up an entry. most of all, i'm glad to hear you had fun doing it--major goal for UWOL!

i was out of town this weekend so i'm a little bit behind on things, but i will be sending around uploading instructions today.
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm in a bad way...

I'm in a bad way as always.... Not a single clue to date... :( I pretty much have no transportation what so ever, and its extremely hot here too! Its been late 80s to 100. Thats really hot for the northwest!
So don't expect to see any walking/bike riding!

Yup... As always... When is the deadline again????
~Gabriel
PS: Lisa, I can not wait to see your entry! It sounds like alot of fun!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge