UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Here's my UWOL#4 water topic video "Born by the sea", it's about 53 MB.
All is filmed and edited in the period 1 - 6th July, except for one picture I'm using in the beginning. An overlook of the Islets of Kvamsoy. I'm using it to show the area where I'm touring in my canoe.

Mostly I've been using my Panasonic DVX100 camera, but for the sunset and some of the paddling stuff I've used my Canon XLH1.
The last clip in this video was the first I shot. Right after Meryem announced the theme I rushed off to the shore just to catch the sunset. And I did, just in time.

The huge hill of stone (like a pyramid) is an old viking graveyard, and there are 60 of them on the island.

I have to mention the white balance. I had to put it on automatic when filming from the canoe, because of the light was changing from time to time. I also wrote a manuscript, but had to change it a bit in the editing prosess.

Sorry Meryem you wont be seeing me in a wet suite this time either.
My wife didn't let me snorkle at the isles because I was travelling alone and no one there to rescue me, maybe in uwol#5.

Well, now I'm off on vacation and I won't be back until the beginning of August, so I guess there wont be many comments from me untill then but I will look at and comment all your videos when I come back from Sweden and Denmark.

I don't know if I hit the theme/topic this time, but I sure did have a great time trying :)
It was quite an excperience for me, different angles, filming on board the canoe (I've never done that before), etc, etc...

So here it is, my feedback tread.

All the best and good luck to you all from Geir Inge B. Brekke

Last edited by Geir Inge; July 7th, 2007 at 01:15 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Geir,

for the short time you had to produce this I really enjoyed it!! I liked the cooking fish o n a flat rock!! My cavorite shots were the last two, just beautiful.
I also like the tip of the canoe perspective!!

Nice Job!!
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Trustee

You're going from the canoe fun to "vacation"!

Are you sure you're permitted to have that much fun?

OK, here's what your film did for me.

1. Made me want to be in the canoe with you, getting photos and video of that spectacular vista of water, sky, and islands.

2. Made me wish I were your guest for that fish "snack". I could almost smell the fish cooking on the hot rock.

3. I totally enjoyed the manner in which you presented your motion picture, and once again I feel including yourself gave it a real personable feel. In a way you brought me along with you on your canoe venture.

Geir, I loved it!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Geir Inge… I just love you singing… For you who don’t know… Sweden and Norway is neighbors and our languages are really the same… But Norwegian folksong sounds so good. Thank you for singing in you film!

About the video… You are building up a big curiosity for who you want to meet, but when you meet her… I think it’s to short. I love the canoeing shots… I actually was planning a canoeing trip from the Norwegian/Swedish border in the mountain and down to the Swedish east coast. Do you want to join me?

Your film… one of the best.

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Geir,

A very peaceful and tranquil film. Your soothing narration complimented the imagery.

Thanks for transporting me back to a simpler time.
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Trustee

I really enjoyed the canoe shots and the baby birds came out beautiful, wonderful sequence and I envy your location.
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #7
Major Player

hello geir:

i enjoyed the film and te concept. just one problem it made me wish i was paddeling with you. lol

i wish i could comment further but i can't type i smashed the shit out of myself on the 23 racing motorcycles.

excellent work as always.

brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi Geir:

Beautifully done! You have such a beautiful home! Here in Colorado we are land locked, hot and very dry right now. I can almost feel the breeze on my face in your film. It was excellently orchestrated, narration, singing, filming... it was great. I do agree with Markus that when you finally reached your friend, I wanted to see more of her and her chicks.

Loved it though...

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Major Player

Great piece Geir Inge,

I think you have this very pure voice, not only in your singing but also in your storytelling. Very tranquil and enjoyable little adventure you took us on.

Fun and entertaining.
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #10
Trustee

Well, I couldn't wait to get home to watch all your videos and as the rain set in we, my family and I, rushed home last night from the eastern part of Norway. Now I'm downloading your videos and will look at one and each of them. Driving that far last night gave me no sleep so I have to take a nap before I comment your film.

Thank you Dale:
The last shots was my seccond/last day on this tour and the sea looked like a mirror. My oldest daughter said that the canoe tip looked fake, but it's not :)

Thank you Bruce:
We used to cook the fish this way when I was a kid, it smells good, it taste good and it sure feels good to do it. Fresh fish from the sea, nothing else matters when you're alone or together with friends this way.

Thank you Mark:
I don't know about my singing, and it wasn't planned, but it just came over me, I had to sing a tune :) About the kittiwakes, I'm always careful about disturbing the birds breeding, so I didn't stay too long by the nest. It was my intention though to put in a clip of the sea house, but as it was my first time filming from a canoe I guess these clips where chosen first. It would have been great paddling in Sweden :) I've spent many of my vacations over there, this year we went to Baastad/Torekov. You have a beatiful country and the Swedish are very nice people.

Thank you Kevin, I'm glad you enjoyd my video.

Thank you Marco for your comments.

Thank you Brian:
You have to come over sometime and we'll go fishing. Hope your doing fine after your race :)

Thank you Catherine:
As I said to Mark I didn't want to disturb the birds too much, but I got the picture and maybe I should have used one ore two more clips of the birds instead of that much canoe stuf.

Thank you Jeff for comments.

Now I have to sleep a bit before I watch your videos.
In the meantime, here's some pics from my canoetour.
Just one comment to the canoe pic. I tied my tripod/camera those two red across. I was afraid of an overturn though.
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke-route.jpg   UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke-canoe.jpg  

UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke-vikinggraveyard.jpg   UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke-seahouse.jpg  

UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke-father-kittiwake.jpg   UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke-babykittiwake.jpg  

UWOL#4 "Born by the sea" by Geir Inge B. Brekke-back-home.jpg  
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Geir,
Really enjoyed watching your movie and I really felt your passion/love for where you live - which I can understand given the tranquility and beauty that is all around you.
Your singing just rounded the whole feel of the movie off very nicely.
I also thought this was a great effort - given the short time you had to film.
Hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Major Player

Geir Inge
Nice job. This is another nice relaxing look at your area. It's also giving me a strong erge to grab my fishing rod. I like how you lead us along and your variety of shots. Is it common to have such calm waters?

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Trustee

Thanks David, I'm glad you liked it. Our vacation went just fine, but we shortened it a bit because of heavy rainstorms.

Thank you Gordon, I wish it was that calm all year through, but sorry It's not. I had two days and the last day it was like this. This is one of Norways most difficult coastlines to cross in bad weather and many a ship lies wrecked at the bottom of the sea. The winterstorm can be pretty tough at times.
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Trustee

Hi Geir

Your films are becoming of a different nature (excuse the pun) to most other entrys. Focussing around you and your interaction with your world makes it both absorbing and personal. You have a natural style in front of the camera and your singing this time really complimented your piece.

You had some nice shots from the boat (both pointing away and at you) and combined with some stunning scenic shots of the environment.

The only thing I think you missed as with your last piece was some better structure to your film. Finding your friend was an interesting hook but the films structure could have supported this more and been built around this better.

I havent watched many of the films yet (very frustrating dodgy internet connection giving me 7kbs :-( ) But I think your going to be up there with this work.

Nice style, lovely film....!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Major Player

Got to get to your part of the world sometime,you video makes it seem so beautiful,well done enjoyed watching your video
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge