UWOL#4 - "A Wish for Water" by David Gemmell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #16
Wrangler

hi david: welcome to UWOL. glad to see more entries from australia. it's such a big country that there's so many ecosystems from there that we haven't seen. seeing the parched land was a bit of a shock.

nice first entry--looking forward to more!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I have always been fascinated about Australia, and always wanted to visit there someday.

To see your film was very nice, and I loved every part of it.
I agree about what some of the others have said about the texts, but that's just minor details.

I'm looking forward to your next films.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #18
Trustee

David, wow, what can I say! Your footage is stunning! I have a long time wanted to go to Australia and after seeing your film I may be packing my backpack and go right away!
Sorry to hear about the drought anyway other part of the globe have floods these days.
What I didn't like in your film was the scrolling text, even if it had a seriously message. It would have been much better if you had been doing a narrating. Even if you didn't like your voice, I think very few do, try. I think you will do just fine.
I'm very happy you managed to get this film finished, even with your problems with the XLH1. The cold should not be any problem for the camcorder. I've used mine in temperatures in -20 degrees celsius and lower without any issues. Hope you got i fixed soon.
Stay warm!
Old July 29th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Per,
It means a lot to me to hear that you liked my footage, as I believe you really set the standard in nature filming.
My XL H1 is still with Canon Australia. I delivered the camera personally to the service counter - where they verified the problem by turning the camera on to see the error message (which displayed in the viewfinder straight away). Unfortunately, the camera has worked flawlessly since the technical team has had it. So we have been trying to replicate the problem since (placed in the fridge overnight, etc) - but we are having no luck. This is so frustrating, as I never experienced one day with the camera where I got more than 15 - 20 mins without the problem arising!
Anyway, I am sure it will all work out.
Thanks once again for your feedback - it is greatly appreciated.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #20
Trustee

Hi David:

I'm in the camp with Per. To me, this was stunning and beautiful and well put to music. Sure the text problems have been covered and not to be gone over again. I loved this film. I would actually say it's in the top 5. It just took me in. It was moving. Watching the birds drinking, drinking, drinking... I don't know, it just moved me deeply. I'll put this one in my back pocket of treasures.

Thanks for this entry!

Cat Russell
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Catherine,
It was lovely to read your kind words.
I'm very pleased that you enjoyed my entry.
Thanks,
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:05 AM   #22
Major Player

David
I really liked your video. Some really interesting footage there. The only thing I have problems with, is having to read at the same time but it does work and it is one of my favorites.

Gordon Hoffman
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:14 PM   #23
Major Player

This was really beautiful footage. I was totally blown away by some shots, like the kangaroo, birds drinking, and especially the kingfisher. That was amazing to see it come and go like that at such close range. Great job, this was a fun film to watch.

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #24
Trustee

This was a fantastic film David, I know exactly where you're coming from with regards to the drought, i'm in Gipsland & we haven't had it much better here. Yes the rains in early winter were great, but the latest dry spell hasn't been too good. Luckily we've had some rain here recently so hopefully i can get up to some of my favourite places & do some filming myself. I have only just found out about this contest, & just missed out on getting in on the #5 challenge, but hope to have a crack at #6. Your films are an inspiration, & i only hope i can come close to emulating what you have produced for this contest so far. Good luck with #5 your film is another ripper!
Bryce Comer
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #25
Major Player

Hi Bryce,
Thanks so much for your kind words.
All the very best with your filming, and please keep in touch.
Regards, David
David Gemmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge