What specs would you like for a 7" in-field/studio monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What specs would you like for a 7" in-field/studio monitor?

Hey Folks,

I'm currently in the process of evaluating possible solutions for an affordable, high quality in-field monitor I'd like to bring to the market. I've spoken to several guys from our field of work and their requests for such a monitor where hardly identical. Up to now i've looked into several possibilities, leaving me with this:

- 10 hours+ time on Battery
- high brightness 400cd/mē
- good view angle ~150-160° left/right, 70° up, 30 down
- one BNC, Cinch and VGA input
- Option for Non-Battery use
- Shoe-Mount capability
- Tripod capability
- Native Resolution 800x600+
- Target Price: ~500USD

So here goes: What do YOU want?

Thanks for your input!
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I would add S-Video input for sharper images than BNC (maybe with some kind of clip for locking the cable in place/strain relief).

16:9 and 4:3 capabilities.

I see you're in Germany. Would it support NTSC and PAL in the same unit?

Thin, light, durable. :)

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Raebiger View Post
What do YOU want?
High definition.

There are already a plethora of standard-definition monitor solutions, yet there are *none* for high-definition (I'm not joking). Even the $5,000+ "HD" monitors have a paltry 500 lines of resolution.

And it's not because the panels aren't being made, either. Here's the last thread I made on this topic:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88417

So, to summarize: I would like:

1280x720
Component input
HDMI input
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
High definition.
So, to summarize: I would like:
1280x720
Component input
HDMI input
I know it's a problem finding HD capable panels at a resonable size that don't have some strange limitations. HDMI input isn't an option. YUV depends on the controllers i get. I was looking into HD Panels too and haven't found any usable solution. Factories tell me there's no need for a standardized panel. I wonder how Dell or HP gets their displays from actually... :(

At a traget price of 500 USD HD aint an option either. What would be your limit for a *real* 720p one?

Btw: do you really think that with only 7 inches available it would make much of a difference in terms of focus? I've used our prototype in various field operations now and had lots of opportunities to focus with the 7 inch 800x480 model (our target for the retail product is infact 800x600), then did a checkup with a full-hd laptop and on all occasions the focus was perfect. we were using a aperture of 2.6-3.4f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shepherd View Post
I would add S-Video input for sharper images than BNC (maybe with some kind of clip for locking the cable in place/strain relief).
Check :) The Clip seems to be a good idea, that's why BNC is my fav right^^
Quote:
16:9 and 4:3 capabilities.
Defineately
Quote:
I see you're in Germany. Would it support NTSC and PAL in the same unit?
yes!
Quote:
Thin, light, durable. :)
Could you go into more detail on the thin and light part? The unit will have a standardized battery socket so you can mount various sized batteries, letting you work with 2x2200mAh which weigh about 115 gr each or pump it to the max with 2x7200mAh which have about 500gr each.

on the durable thing: the monitor is supposed to be mounted to the camera shoe and withstand the usual camera movements - i thinks its quite ok that it won't hold a grade 20 hurricane of course ;)

Is 10h+ battery time a good thing in general or would lets say 2-5 hours be ok? Our prototype runs with 2x6000mAh batteries for about 17 hours straight :)
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, I love BNC connectors, but I dislike composite video :) (I have an XL2, so I only need 720x480, but HD will eventually be in my requirements).

Thin and light just in a sense that it doesn't weigh down the camera too much. I don't have real numbers for you. A thin frame around the edges would be nice as well. Like some desktop LCD's have very wide frames and make the screens much larger than others, even though the actual LCD is the same size.

17 hours?! I think that would be enough. 10 hours sounds good to me. 2-3 would be alright if the batteries weren't too expensive. But not switching batteries at all during a shoot would be even nicer than cheap batteries. :)

Eric
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Raebiger View Post
At a traget price of 500 USD HD aint an option either. What would be your limit for a *real* 720p one?
Given that $5,000 monitors with terrible resolution are flying off the shelves, you could probably sell one for $8,000 since it's one of a kind yet in serious need. (People are actually lugging around 20" 1080 HDTV on light stands with 12v converters.)

My price point is around $1,000, but even $2,000 would capture a large market.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thin and light just in a sense that it doesn't weigh down the camera too much. I don't have real numbers for you. A thin frame around the edges would be nice as well.
Actually too thin borders kinda suck - i've experimented with various housings and while the thin borders really look cool you have fingertips and dirt on the display within minutes as, at least for my productions, the monitor isnt always mounted on camera. We hand it over to the customer, let the lightning guy have a look at it etc. So a ~1,5-2cm border is an actual feature - what do you think?
Quote:
17 hours?! I think that would be enough. 10 hours sounds good to me. 2-3 would be alright if the batteries weren't too expensive. But not switching batteries at all during a shoot would be even nicer than cheap batteries. :)
Hehe only the sky is the limit ;) batteries will have a pricing at ~40 Bucks for one 6500mAh, ~15 Bucks for the 2000mAh variant. So actually cheap. Plus you always have the option: small batteries, light weight or slightly increased weight and an impressive 10h+ operating time. And: there's an model with 4000mAh in between so you can really have it your way :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Given that $5,000 monitors with terrible resolution are flying off the shelves, you could probably sell one for $8,000 since it's one of a kind yet in serious need. (People are actually lugging around 20" 1080 HDTV on light stands with 12v converters.)

My price point is around $1,000, but even $2,000 would capture a large market.
ok didnt know that - sounds absolutely rediciolous. but hey, if someone wants to give me the big bucks ;) I'll look into it - thanks for the info!
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Trustee

Built-in beer cooler would be nice, as well as an Espresso option.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Major Player

..and a light that says "Shhhh! Recording!" on the backside? :)

I see your point with the wider bezel/frame. I like the idea of passing it back and forth. Maybe some type of handgrip surface would help for that along the sides? I guess it would need extra durability if it won't be mounted to the camera, just in case someone has slippery hands or something.

Would it mount to the backplate of the XL series cameras? Like the Anton Bauer batteries, wireless receivers, etc will? I don't know what you call that plate, but a lot of larger cameras seem to have those as an option.

Eric
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Built-in beer cooler would be nice, as well as an Espresso option.
Sorry dude, no beer or cofee. it makes tee tho.

Quote:
Would it mount to the backplate of the XL series cameras? Like the Anton Bauer batteries, wireless receivers, etc will? I don't know what you call that plate, but a lot of larger cameras seem to have those as an option.
hmm don't quite know what you mean - do you have a picture? :)
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Major Player

This is the closest I can find on short notice. :)
http://www.dv.com/dv/magazine/2006/M...06XLH11513.jpg
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
This is the closest I can find on short notice. :)
http://www.dv.com/dv/magazine/2006/M...06XLH11513.jpg
ok, seems to be some sort of plate with some sort of holes in it^^ then theres defineately a way :)
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Haha, yes exactly. :)

I think there must be an industry standard spacing of the holes though, if multiple manufacturers are able to make interchangeable parts like batteries and receivers and lcd's.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Haha, yes exactly. :)

I think there must be an industry standard spacing of the holes though, if multiple manufacturers are able to make interchangeable parts like batteries and receivers and lcd's.
nothings easier than drilling a few holes and putting some screws through it. if theres an intrest, theres a product :) i am awaiting the shipment with the hopfully final tft panel within the next week :)
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Yup, if you can find the measurements somewhere and sell it pre-drilled, that would be ideal I think.

In the meantime, there's still soup! ;)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software