HDMI and dual monitoring... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 27th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #1
Major Player

HDMI and dual monitoring...

Hello

i decided to post here hoping it may be more suitable place (as opposed to the vegas forum where i previously posted). I have a Sony HVR-M10E deck being delivered soon and i want to be able to use it to monitor my footage from vegas on my high def samsung tv via hdmi. now to my knowledge i have a few ways of connecting my tv but im wondering which connection will give me the highest resolution/accurate picture reproduction for colour correcting etc. my options are:

vga from pc to vga input on my tv

composite out from vtr deck to tv

high def composite out from my deck (not sure what its called but im refering to the red, green and blue connections) to my tv

svideo from vtr deck to tv

or som sort of hybrid cable that goes from a red green blue connector from my vtr deck to a hdmi connection for my tv.

This is my first dilema, my next is to find out if i can view an output on more than one monitor at the same time (i mean tv monitor from my deck not pc monitors, i have a hi def tv and sdtv of which id like to have monitoring the vegas output at the same time)

Any input would be much appreciated.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel..........

Not entirely sure I've got a complete handle on what you're asking but here goes....

Firstly, in roughly descending order of quality, these are the most common video connection options in the real world:

HDMI/ DVI; Component (the RGB you mentioned); VGA; S video, Composite

1. You cannot connect to your TV's HDMI socket unless you have either:

an HDMI output from either the deck (M10 - don't think so) OR your pc's graphics card (unlikely), OR you have a DVI out on the graphics card that works with an DVI - HDMI gender bender (quite a few simply don't - work, that is).

2. Component is your next best option

3. VGA is possible but the VGA inputs on the HD telly's (I'm aware of) limit the max resolution to way less than a full 1920 X 1080 HD

If option 2 is available I would use it for the HDTV. For a standard def telly any on your list that are available, component still the best option if you have two Component O/P ports.

As for viewing on two telly's at the same time - well, yes, if it's SD. If it's HD then the SD screen is going to spit the dummy, less there's a HD to SD conversion going on somewhere..

Does Vegas send a feed down the Firewire during editing, or just capture/ playback? I ask, as if there is only a Firewire feed during cature/ playback I can't see any way for you to use the deck to monitor what Vegas is doing.

However, I know nothing about Vegas, so I supose it's possible.

Hope this has helped a bit.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software