BNC connectors and 75 ohm coax at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BNC connectors and 75 ohm coax

Im needing some assistance on this scenario
I need to display live video out from my XL2 to (two)
projection screens that will be flanking a stage area.

Ill need to run about 100 ft of cable from the camera to the stage area and then t off and go to 2 different projection devices one located on each side of the stage.

Ok heres the question: is standard Digital 75 ohm coax going to allow me to crimp on bnc adaptors to each of the cables end?

I have the bnc t for splitting all figures out.

What I do not know is the connection type on the 2 projection devices. My assumption is its either going to be rca or bnc (im rulling out HD here, there older projection devices from what I understand)

Ok so on with this queston: will i encounter any sort of problem where I finally make my connection if I have to make a conversion from bnc to lets say rca.

In a nutshell my plan is to purchase a couple hundred feet of Digital 75 ohm coax and a hand full of bnc connectors and a crimp tool. then make the lenghts that I need and also buy a handfull of various conversion adaptors to make any connection I might encounter.

The real question is (is the Digital 75 ohm the right type of cable to use with a bnc type plug)

Thanks guys and gals...

Last edited by Martin Smith; October 30th, 2007 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You should be ok. You can crimp BNC to 75 ohm. A better alternative would be to purchase 50 or 100 ft legnths of BNC cable. They are very rugged and you don't have to worry about a bad BNC connection.

Your projectors should have BNC connections for video and RCA for audio. If doubtful, bring a couple of BNC to RCA adapters. The video signal is the same regardless of the type of connector.

A D/A (distribution amplifier) would be much better than using a splitter for the video line. This would assure the maximum signal reaching both projectors.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Will this be component or composite video? I've had a succesful run of 50' component BNC-RCA (doing 1080i HD) so it should work fine at 100'. I've also done 150' of run (3x50' BNC terminated cables end to end) and that worked fine too.. even with the 3 connectors in between! RCA to BNC worked fine for me.

TIP: Be sure to test before the big night, and make sure the cable is secure and doesn't get jostled or pulled.

Good luck!
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok I ended up going wit RG-6 and bnc type connections, I took it a bit further just to test and made a run 250 ft coming out of the XL2 bnc out
at the other end of the 250ft run I tee'd it off and went another 50 ft in each direction... Works great
I am able to display video (s-video) out to the on camera IKAN monitor then output to 2 screens quite some distance away and the quality is just fine for display during a performance.

Thanks for the tips..
Martin
Martin Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software