DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Video Monitor/Color Corection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/107100-video-monitor-color-corection.html)

John Cash November 2nd, 2007 09:52 AM

Video Monitor/Color Corection

Hi All, I have posted this on the Mac thread also so sorry for the repeat.

I want to use a video monitor for color correction but I dont know how. I do know I will need a CRT monitor with RCA jacks input.
What about hardware/software to get the signal out? Im on a dual core 2.6 gig MAC with intel and 2 video cards.
I cnat afford the Matrox MXO so what are my other options? Will the Black magic Intensity card with the RCA breakout bundle give me true color on a video Monitor?

Thanks for the schooling in advance

Daan Bras November 2nd, 2007 10:08 AM

You can use a Firewire camera or firewire digital analog converter (DAC). currently i'm using a Datavideo DAC-200.

John Cash November 2nd, 2007 12:23 PM

Thanks Daan, I want to color correct a project from Final Cut Pro while in FCP. I have a analog/digital converter but how can I get it to see the project file in FCP?

I guess Im confused

Thomas Barclay November 2nd, 2007 12:29 PM

Do you have DVI ports left?

The way I would suggest doing it is via DVI. The Apple store sells a adapter for $19 that can convert S-video

After connected go to
System Preferences > Displays> Detect display

Make sure to calibrate it.

Then in FCP go to:
View > Video Out

There should be an option listing the secondary monitor

John Cash November 2nd, 2007 03:39 PM

And if I have a television with RCA jacks I can buy a s-video to RCA converter cable and I have a color correction system? Thats easy

Thanks

Daan Bras November 3rd, 2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Barclay (Post 769132)
The way I would suggest doing it is via DVI. The Apple store sells a adapter for $19 that can convert S-video

After connected go to
System Preferences > Displays> Detect display

Make sure to calibrate it.

Then in FCP go to:
View > Video Out

There should be an option listing the secondary monitor

That would be the easiest and cheapest way, but unfortunately the dvi adapter doesn't work on the mac pro. Something to do with the current line of graphiccards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cash (Post 769125)
Thanks Daan, I want to color correct a project from Final Cut Pro while in FCP. I have a analog/digital converter but how can I get it to see the project file in FCP?

I guess Im confused

Connect the device, select it in FCP under 'Audio/Video settings-> AV devices->playback output. Be sure to select a different audio output, otherwise it will also play through firewire.
Then under view, select video playback-> all frames (command F12)

Greg Boston November 3rd, 2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cash (Post 769248)
And if I have a television with RCA jacks I can buy a s-video to RCA converter cable and I have a color correction system? Thats easy

You can't do color correction with much accuracy on a standard television. The phosphors in the CRT aren't accurate and the basic tv lacks the controls to properly calibrate it with NTSC PLUGE bars.

For example. If you simply connect a tv set which has it's color control set a bit high to saturate colors, you might see too much color and back off a bit. On the other end, when someone views this footage, their tv set's color control is set to normal or lower, they would see very dull, drab color.

When you 'correct', you have to 'correct' to a standard. When the end user sees material on their tv set that has all been corrected to a standard, it's up to them to add a bit more saturation or adjust tint to their liking. If they adjust to your non precision color correction, then it would throw their controls out of whack with everything else they see.

By all means, I'm not trying to come off heavy handed, but wanted you to understand the idea behind color correction.

And BTW, cross-posting is not allowed on DVINFO. If you're not sure which forum to post in, just pick one and if it really needs to be moved, us moderators will move it for you.

Good luck,

-gb-

Thomas Barclay November 3rd, 2007 06:14 PM

Great point Greg!

This is a really good point. I don't have the budget for dual monitors yet. Most the time I export a clip out to DVD and test it against 2 different TV's. This isn't perfect but at least it gives me something besides a computer monitor to judge from. However, I surprised what you say about CRT. Most production monitors are still CRT. They aren't the typical off the shelf electronic store CRT's but production monitors with seperate controls. Most my teachers have said they are best to use since this represents the biggest group and with least optimum viewing set up.

If you don't mind something used, here is a really good deal:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Monitor.html

Daan, I think I know what you meant about the adapter. Apple has 2 that sound the same but one is specifically for the Mac Pro with ATI card.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=M9267G/A

Daan Bras November 4th, 2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Barclay (Post 769756)

Daan, I think I know what you meant about the adapter. Apple has 2 that sound the same but one is specifically for the Mac Pro with ATI card.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=M9267G/A

ow right, thanks. When i bought one there wasn't a specific model for mac pro's :)

John Cash November 5th, 2007 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. Greg, sorry for the cross post. Wont happen again. I do understand what you are saying about calibrating to a standard and I did think any CRT television would work.
However I still am confusued about how I can get the digital signal to analog and to a monitor. As I said I have an ADS pyro analog to digital converter. Can I feed the firewire signal from the macpro through the firewire on the ADS?
Or can I buy a adapter from Apple that will work on a mac pro and get s video out? Unfortunately I have the Nvida cards (2) .The Pyro box does have an S video input.Or how about VGA to component adapter and using the component inputs on the ADS box?

Again thanks. And no you dint come off heavy handed. I need good info like that because I dont know a thing about getting this set up

Glenn Chan November 5th, 2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

However I still am confusued about how I can get the digital signal to analog and to a monitor. As I said I have an ADS pyro analog to digital converter. Can I feed the firewire signal from the macpro through the firewire on the ADS?
Yes. In FCP, enable the external preview and set the external (or preview) device to firewire.

John Cash November 5th, 2007 01:53 PM

So,after speaking with ADS and you guys help it looks like this can be done with everything I already have. Now to talk the wife into buying that Video Monitor.

Thanks you all