Video Monitor/Color Corection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Video Monitor/Color Corection

Hi All, I have posted this on the Mac thread also so sorry for the repeat.

I want to use a video monitor for color correction but I dont know how. I do know I will need a CRT monitor with RCA jacks input.
What about hardware/software to get the signal out? Im on a dual core 2.6 gig MAC with intel and 2 video cards.
I cnat afford the Matrox MXO so what are my other options? Will the Black magic Intensity card with the RCA breakout bundle give me true color on a video Monitor?

Thanks for the schooling in advance
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can use a Firewire camera or firewire digital analog converter (DAC). currently i'm using a Datavideo DAC-200.
Daan Bras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Daan, I want to color correct a project from Final Cut Pro while in FCP. I have a analog/digital converter but how can I get it to see the project file in FCP?

I guess Im confused
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Do you have DVI ports left?

The way I would suggest doing it is via DVI. The Apple store sells a adapter for $19 that can convert S-video

After connected go to
System Preferences > Displays> Detect display

Make sure to calibrate it.

Then in FCP go to:
View > Video Out

There should be an option listing the secondary monitor
Thomas Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Major Player

And if I have a television with RCA jacks I can buy a s-video to RCA converter cable and I have a color correction system? Thats easy

Thanks
Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Barclay View Post
The way I would suggest doing it is via DVI. The Apple store sells a adapter for $19 that can convert S-video

After connected go to
System Preferences > Displays> Detect display

Make sure to calibrate it.

Then in FCP go to:
View > Video Out

There should be an option listing the secondary monitor
That would be the easiest and cheapest way, but unfortunately the dvi adapter doesn't work on the mac pro. Something to do with the current line of graphiccards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
Thanks Daan, I want to color correct a project from Final Cut Pro while in FCP. I have a analog/digital converter but how can I get it to see the project file in FCP?

I guess Im confused
Connect the device, select it in FCP under 'Audio/Video settings-> AV devices->playback output. Be sure to select a different audio output, otherwise it will also play through firewire.
Then under view, select video playback-> all frames (command F12)
Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
And if I have a television with RCA jacks I can buy a s-video to RCA converter cable and I have a color correction system? Thats easy
You can't do color correction with much accuracy on a standard television. The phosphors in the CRT aren't accurate and the basic tv lacks the controls to properly calibrate it with NTSC PLUGE bars.

For example. If you simply connect a tv set which has it's color control set a bit high to saturate colors, you might see too much color and back off a bit. On the other end, when someone views this footage, their tv set's color control is set to normal or lower, they would see very dull, drab color.

When you 'correct', you have to 'correct' to a standard. When the end user sees material on their tv set that has all been corrected to a standard, it's up to them to add a bit more saturation or adjust tint to their liking. If they adjust to your non precision color correction, then it would throw their controls out of whack with everything else they see.

By all means, I'm not trying to come off heavy handed, but wanted you to understand the idea behind color correction.

And BTW, cross-posting is not allowed on DVINFO. If you're not sure which forum to post in, just pick one and if it really needs to be moved, us moderators will move it for you.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Great point Greg!

This is a really good point. I don't have the budget for dual monitors yet. Most the time I export a clip out to DVD and test it against 2 different TV's. This isn't perfect but at least it gives me something besides a computer monitor to judge from. However, I surprised what you say about CRT. Most production monitors are still CRT. They aren't the typical off the shelf electronic store CRT's but production monitors with seperate controls. Most my teachers have said they are best to use since this represents the biggest group and with least optimum viewing set up.

If you don't mind something used, here is a really good deal:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Monitor.html

Daan, I think I know what you meant about the adapter. Apple has 2 that sound the same but one is specifically for the Mac Pro with ATI card.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=M9267G/A
Thomas Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Barclay View Post

Daan, I think I know what you meant about the adapter. Apple has 2 that sound the same but one is specifically for the Mac Pro with ATI card.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=M9267G/A
ow right, thanks. When i bought one there wasn't a specific model for mac pro's :)
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. Greg, sorry for the cross post. Wont happen again. I do understand what you are saying about calibrating to a standard and I did think any CRT television would work.
However I still am confusued about how I can get the digital signal to analog and to a monitor. As I said I have an ADS pyro analog to digital converter. Can I feed the firewire signal from the macpro through the firewire on the ADS?
Or can I buy a adapter from Apple that will work on a mac pro and get s video out? Unfortunately I have the Nvida cards (2) .The Pyro box does have an S video input.Or how about VGA to component adapter and using the component inputs on the ADS box?

Again thanks. And no you dint come off heavy handed. I need good info like that because I dont know a thing about getting this set up

Last edited by John Cash; November 5th, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
However I still am confusued about how I can get the digital signal to analog and to a monitor. As I said I have an ADS pyro analog to digital converter. Can I feed the firewire signal from the macpro through the firewire on the ADS?
Yes. In FCP, enable the external preview and set the external (or preview) device to firewire.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Major Player

So,after speaking with ADS and you guys help it looks like this can be done with everything I already have. Now to talk the wife into buying that Video Monitor.

Thanks you all
John Cash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software