HD monitor for you at $775 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 11th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

720p HD monitor for you at $775

Walmart will have an HDTV under $1000.

And this from hdmuse@hdtvetc.com:

As a firm believer in the doctrine of "the mostest for the leastest", I can relate. Remember the old Unity Motion/Princeton widescreen HD monitor? You know, the one "designed by Joe Kane", 720p capable, etc? Sold as recently as a year ago for $4100 at list until Princeton ran out of stock.

Well, Monivision, the original OEM, has reintroduced this model in all its computer compatible glory as the DM-6552SW. Recently selling on the Net for ~ $1500, you can pick this puppy up new now from the sponsors of the AVS Forum on special for $775! Call 585-454-1460 and tell 'em the HD Muse sent ya...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255917&highlight=Monivision

THIS IS A GREAT MONITOR!!!!

Speaking of Joe Kane, word is that his long delayed and highly anticipated 1080p24fps mastered Digital Video Essentials calibration videos will finally become available for purchase next month. Both 1080i and 720p D-VHS tape versions will be available.

HERE'S YOUR HD CALIBRATION TAPE!!!

Firewire also figures into another recent announcement of great importance to the HDTV community. 169Time got its start by adding firewire ports to the RCA DTC-100 STB for OTA HDTV recording and later added the AVX-1 box for massaging satellite HD programming into a format recordable to D-VHS.

>>> Of course, don't buy any HD now because the Japanese are working UDTV! :) :)
_
Compared with normal TV or even HDTV, a viewer would get a heightened sensation of reality from the ultrahigh-definition video system under development at STRL. Its large, wide-view screen has a resolution equivalent to that of gravure printing. Over the last year, enhancements were made to all of the early prototype's imaging, recording, display, and audio systems. To assess the effects of the large, wide-view screen, we produced programs mainly composed of motion pictures.

Features
- Standard Specification: The video format of the 4,000 scanning line system has four times the number of pixels of the Hi-Vision (HDTV) standard, both vertically and horizontally, and uses progressive scanning.

- Imaging system: To pickup images suited for a wide-view/large-screen display more efficiently, we are developing a compact camera that uses 2 G + 1R + 1 B chips.

- Recording system: A new recording device that employs parallel HDTV hard disks was fabricated, expanding the recording/playback time to 18 minutes, from the previous 34 seconds.

- Display system: Automated data acquisition realized highly accurate geometric compensation for the DUAL projectors.

- Audio system: In an attempt to create new sound effects, additional loudspeaker arrays were installed at either side of the screen in order to control the perceived distance of sounds.

Future Work
Psychological effects, such as the sensation of reality perceived from ultrahigh-definition/wide-screen images and three-dimensional sound, will be examined quantitatively, and the results will be used as basic data for future broadcasting endeavors aimed at delivering an unparalleled level of realism to viewers.
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:08 AM   #2
Trustee

UDTV might be good for Hollywood cinema but I doubt any consumer would ever know the difference between 1080p and 4000p. Star Wars II was 1080p and shown on a gigantic projector and I couldn't tell it wasn't the same rez. as film.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #3

not to mention the cost!!??
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Major Player

r·?t-4aw Episode II, I thought I needed glasses for two hours. It may pass for film but really, really soft focus film.

I'm sure everyone will be happy with 1080 tv sets for years to come but I can't see us sticking with it forever and ever. The resolution is not unlimited on those things, I've watched football games and documentaries on them and found myself wishing for more detail in the long shots.

Personally, I think it would be fantastic if ultra high definition was common in 15 or twenty years.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #5
Trustee

In 15 or 20 years we'd better be watching holo-vision.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Steve, this looks like a great monitor, however I noticed that it's max resolution is actually 1024*768. So I assume it downconverts a bit horizontally to display a 1280*720 (720p picture). Is this correct? Also, would I be able to display a 1280*720 picture on this screen if it is connected to my PC via VGA connector? I'm thinking of playing back MPEG2TS footage from the JVC HD cam directly using the VLAN or Elecard player.

Thanks for your advice
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #7
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Steve, this looks like a great monitor, however I noticed that it's max resolution is actually 1024*768. So I assume it downconverts a bit horizontally to display a 1280*720 (720p picture). Is this correct? Also, would I be able to display a 1280*720 picture on this screen if it is connected to my PC via VGA connector? I'm thinking of playing back MPEG2TS footage from the JVC HD cam directly using the VLAN or Elecard player.

Thanks for your advice -->>>

It is an RGB computer monitor that when fed from a computer acts as an XGA monitor. Thus your computer will down-rez slightly when you set VLAN/Elecard to "full screen."

When you input component from the HD10, the monitor will convert to fill its screen. I don't remember if the monitor sync increases to meet 1280x720 -- or if the input is down-rezed to 1024x768.

Doesn't really matter because the upper viewable limit of all but the most expensive (>$10000) monitors is about 900-lines.

That's why the measured HD10 rez is greater than can be displayed.

More importantly color and gamma are great. Anyone considering HD work should get one of these.
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #8
New Boot

Can I use it as a field monitor with the HD 100

I need a monitor to check the color with a HD100, would you say I could use that monitor?
Thanks
Phil
Phil Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Phil!

If you take a closer look at this thread, you'll see that you're responding to a post which is over 3 years old (June 2003). The whole HD landscape has changed a lot during that period, so this might not be the way to go anymore...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #10
New Boot

oops

yes, sorry about that and I actually found fresher threads.
Phil Orlando is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software