Question about panasonic camera monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #16
New Boot

Hi Jeff,

I'd like to visit the Aquarium sometime to check out some of your finished work shot on the HPX. Can you give me some more details?

Feel free to email me directly if you like...
Ryan Skeete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #17
Major Player

Why not try putting a Century Optics 2X teleconvertor in front of the lens and you get 2X magnification for the same distance? That means the DOF is now 1cm or less :-).

And just wondering - how do you prevent those sea creatures from moving around ... your camera can be on tripod ... but, sea cucumbers, star fishes, etc ... these fellows do move. And with DOF of 2cm ... I mean you can't tell them to hold still, right? :-).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Actually we did shoot some stuff with the 2x on the lens. The sea cukes and the sea stars don't really move that fast. When they're moving in a straight line it's pretty excellent because you just let them move through the focus point and leave the camera be.

There were some really nice shots of one sea cucumber close-up with a beautifully out of focus cucumber moving through the background. So much fun and the colours look amazing.

To top it off we took the footage up to the 24 foot theatre screen and man oh man did it look amazing. The footage held up extremely well.
Jeff Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Sergio,

Just wondering how you mount the LH80 on the HVX? Care to share your method? I was thinking about mounting it on HVX202 - but, I have doubts the handle can cope with the weight for extended periods of time.

TS
Sorry for the late response, Tingsern Wong... Didn't see that the thread was moved. Well, basically what I did is I found an adapter screw to a small tripod head that fixes on the screw on the back of the HVX handle. I tried different heads and found one that actually fixes pretty well on the screw area (it has a small elevation on the middle of the handle were the screw is, which causes some unstable mounting in some small tripod heads), The one I got works flawlessly, it is indeed a movable head (flexibe, allowing different angles for the LCD- inverted it really needs this ability, due to the poor angle of view.)

I can post a picture, but don't know how to. Just know how to type, or post fotos on hi5 on the net...

Anyway, on a tripod, or handheld, with the monitor near the back and the brevis on the front, it all feels, strangely enough, balanced, but there's a problem:

As a Glidecam Smooth Shooter flyer, I can honestly say it is close to impossible to use an HVX+Brevis+GC4000+smooth shooter+BTLH for shooting. The weight is over the arm's capacity....

But on a tripod or handheld with an asssistant, it works great.

Cheers,

Sergio
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Sergio,

You can indeed post JPEGs on this website. When you reply to thread, there is a box that is below the reply box - "Attach Files". Click on "Manage Attachments" button. A window will open up where you can attach pictures and post your pictures there.

Agree that it is impossible to handhold the HVX+Brevis+LH80+whatever.

Only on tripod this is possible. Anyway, I only intend to use LH80 and HVX together on tripod and not handheld.

Don't you think the HVX handle looks a bit thin to hold the LH80+AB battery for long periods of time? It is because of that consideration that I decided to use the Petrol bag. Let me see your picture first - then I shall decide whether I will do likewise as you.

Thanks,
TS
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Sergio,

You can indeed post JPEGs on this website. When you reply to thread, there is a box that is below the reply box - "Attach Files". Click on "Manage Attachments" button. A window will open up where you can attach pictures and post your pictures there.

Agree that it is impossible to handhold the HVX+Brevis+LH80+whatever.

Only on tripod this is possible. Anyway, I only intend to use LH80 and HVX together on tripod and not handheld.

Don't you think the HVX handle looks a bit thin to hold the LH80+AB battery for long periods of time? It is because of that consideration that I decided to use the Petrol bag. Let me see your picture first - then I shall decide whether I will do likewise as you.

Thanks,
TS
The thing is I have a belt where I put the AB battery. The power is connected trough the 4 pin connector. Ok, pictures coming later today ;)
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM   #22
Major Player

Here is a try on posting pictures of my setup.
EDIT- IT seems it worked!
Attached Thumbnails
Question about panasonic camera monitor-front-shot.jpg   Question about panasonic camera monitor-side-picture.jpg  

Question about panasonic camera monitor-belt-setup.jpg   Question about panasonic camera monitor-close-up-bottom-head.jpg  

Question about panasonic camera monitor-img_0046.jpg  
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM   #23
Major Player

Sergio,

Thank you for the informative pictures. I didn't think the HVX202 handle could bear the weight of the monitor + AB battery. Apparently, your picture showed me otherwise.

Where did you get that Cullman's ballhead from? I have only seen one side with a hole and the other side a bolt. Yours is both sides having a bolt. Is the ballhead strong enough to hold the monitor without it twisting or swaying from side to side?
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM   #24
Major Player

TingSern, basically the cullman has a bolt only on top. The bottom, if you look closely to the picture where I'm holding it, has a screw with 2 heads inserted. So one goes into the cullman, and the other stays for mounting on the HVX200. Cheap and effective solution.

The top screw is large, due to a small to large screw adapter (that's why its gold colored). This solution is cheap, solid as a rock, lightweight, and the Cullman head can securelly hold the monitor+ battery no problem. The trick is on the screw with two heads. the base of the screw and its length is just perfect for the hvx's screw hole. So the whole setup is steady and doesn't shake or is unstable to the sides, due to the small " bump" surrounding the HVX hole. The handle in my view can handle the monitor, but having the battery on it is pushing it...So the belt option for the battery seems like a safer bet.

It can even be handheldable, if you have strong hands, there is... On a glidecam 4000 with smooth shooter, however, its over limit, so I have to find either an assistant to hold the monitor while I fly with the brevis, or its a no go...

Last edited by Sergio Perez; December 21st, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Sergio Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM   #25
Major Player

Sergio, where did you find that "large screw adaptor" from? I have lots of panball heads (mostly based on Acra Swiss design). I can easily adopt one of them for my HVX - provided I can figure out your "large screw adaptor". Thanks.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:33 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Sergio, where did you find that "large screw adaptor" from? I have lots of panball heads (mostly based on Acra Swiss design). I can easily adopt one of them for my HVX - provided I can figure out your "large screw adaptor". Thanks.
The large screw adaptor is a 20 HK dollar iron screw cap that screws on the small screw of your head. You can get this in any electric store or (don't know how to say this in english!) those stores were they have screws, tools for bricolage, etc. How about taking your head with your HVX and the Monitor and see how they figure out a screw on solution? Maybe you print out my pictures, and show to them, they will definetly find a solution for you.

I basically did this and went to one of the oldest Photography shops in town who has lots and lots of support gear. The owner was very helpful and we found out this solution and tried many others...
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM   #27
Major Player

Thanks ... I will go and hunt for it in Singapore then.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #28
Major Player

I went down to hunt for the male to male "connector" - asked 5 photographic shops - no luck (never heard of such a thing). I then went to my favorite photo supply shop ... says Manfrotto has it - but they don't have stocks right now. At least I don't have do an overseas order (or worse, ask you to get one for me and post it to me). Not even sure when it will come in. Have to wait. Meanwhile, I carry LH80 around in its Petrol bag + a small light tripod to hold the monitor.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi Sergio,

I found the solution .... simply remove one of my spare Gitzo tripod's screw (that comes with 1/4" and 3/8" together), screw the 1/4" all the way into my Acra Swiss style ballhead, mount the plastic plate in reverse and bolt it down with the nut. Now, the 3/8" thread is protruding from the bottom of the ballhead - I simply screw the 3/8" side into the handle of the HVX202. The wide round plastic plate acts as a stabliser and spreads the weight away from the hole itself.

If you are interested in seeing how it looks like, I can post the photo.

TS
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM   #30
Major Player

Sure, Tingsern. The best thing on my setup is that it feels solid and its not putting pressure on the hvx screw hole. Everything is stabillized by the iron "circle" that separates the two screw heads- as you can see from the picture.

Anyway, glad you did it! Its a lot better to have it in camera, imho.

Now I'm looking for a monitor "hood" to cover sunlight...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software