I went to check out Sony's new organic EL display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Trustee

I went to check out Sony's new organic EL display

I went to eat sushi in Ginza, so I stopped by at Sony plaza to check out the Organic EL display.

From what I was seeing on posters and TVCM, I was thinking it is fairly large, but being OEL, it was not that big, it is about 10inch or so.

From the m2t files that they were demonstrating, the motion and the color looked better than LCD, but I could see some inflatness in the color just like the LCD that you won't see in CRT. The motion is not as good as CRT but whole lotta better than LCD. I recognized weird wave patterns on river surface but it could be because of the m2t file.

Sony doesn't really mention the resolution around the demo but I checked out the web and it says 960 x 540.

I thought it would be great if they make a portable and rugged version for video camera.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/oel/index.html
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Very interesting -- thanks Kaku. Someday I hope to eat sushi in Ginza too.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Trustee

They really should make a camera monitor with this panel.

Hey, Chris, I'm going to buy the Panasonic SD9. Would you wanna host the clips?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
I went to eat sushi in Ginza, so I stopped by at Sony plaza to check out the Organic EL display.

From what I was seeing on posters and TVCM, I was thinking it is fairly large, but being OEL, it was not that big, it is about 10inch or so.

From the m2t files that they were demonstrating, the motion and the color looked better than LCD, but I could see some inflatness in the color just like the LCD that you won't see in CRT. The motion is not as good as CRT but whole lotta better than LCD. I recognized weird wave patterns on river surface but it could be because of the m2t file.

Sony doesn't really mention the resolution around the demo but I checked out the web and it says 960 x 540.

I thought it would be great if they make a portable and rugged version for video camera.

The U.S. market consumer version will retail for U.S. $2,500.00 here. That means a professional version may be cost prohibitive it seems? I would not pay $4,000.00 for a 10" pro version.

Also, the current life expectancy is only 4 years. I think OLED is the future but it's not really ready for prime time yet.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post

That's one of the things we did, too, on our brief visit in new year'vacation (Eat Sushi in Ginza and check out the Sony building :) )

I saw the new monitor, as well as the Rolly toy demonstration.

The new monitor really has a much better contrast ratio. it was crisp and clear. Sincerely, haven't checked in such detail to see the defects you saw, Kaku- but it was such a relatively small screen that, to my eye, was really impressive.

I agree- a professional monitor should come out of this!

4000 seems very expensive, but if you can make it for 3000, you have a monitor that can give some monitors, like Panasonic's BTLH80w, a run for its money...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software