DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   XL2 Field Monitor / Camera mount LCD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/112555-xl2-field-monitor-camera-mount-lcd.html)

Tom York July 15th, 2006 02:13 PM

Hi Alan,

I did a quick search of the web for you and came up with an auction on Ebay that may be the type of monitor you are looking for. I dont have any experience with this monitor nor do I have anything to do with the seller. I am looking for a monitor for my XL2 also and thought I would give you the link to check out. Hopefully it is what you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-7-Pro-LCD-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem

Tom

Alan James July 15th, 2006 02:45 PM

Tom, I actually already have one of those and I'm not happy with it. It is a TV set not a portable LCD monitor. It has to be pluged in to an electrical outlet. As a TV it works great though so if u are buying it for that then great choice. Bill, I actually posted this in the XL2 fourm area and wasnt even looking in the monitor forum at the time. Thanx for the fast response.

Bill Hamell July 15th, 2006 02:56 PM

BTW, I use that exact monitor on my XL2 so I know it will work.
It will even flip the image incase you ever use a “mini35” or the like.

Oh yeah my post started out in the XL2 forum as well. :-)

Bill

Tom York July 15th, 2006 03:06 PM

Hi Bill,

I have read in other posts that the resolution of the Varizoom is a bit lacking. Do you have any experience with the Ikan monitor. My choices are narrowing down to those two setups now that Alan has set me straight on the monitor that I found on Ebay.....you get what you pay for I guess, gotta keep reminding myself of that. I have read of basically 3 different monitors, the Varizoom, Marshall and the Ikan monitor, all basically in the same price point. Basically what I am looking for is a 16:9 native resolution, small form factor in the 5 - 7 inch range, be able to run on batteries for a decent amount of time and be under $750. So I think Alan and I are looking for the same basic thing. Any help that you or others can provide would be great.

Thanks,

Tom

Mike Teutsch July 15th, 2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan James
Tom, I actually already have one of those and I'm not happy with it. It is a TV set not a portable LCD monitor. It has to be pluged in to an electrical outlet. As a TV it works great though so if u are buying it for that then great choice. Bill, I actually posted this in the XL2 fourm area and wasnt even looking in the monitor forum at the time. Thanx for the fast response.

All monitors will have to be plugged into a power source battery or A/C, none I know of will run off of your cameras power. Few if any will have underscan, and most are just used to get a larger view of what you are shooting. I have a Varizoom.

Mike

Bill Hamell July 15th, 2006 03:30 PM

Tom,

Here’s the deal, it depends on what you want out of the monitor.
If you are looking for framing only (as I was) then the Varizoom is where you want to be.
If you are looking to replace a production monitor then the Marshall at $1500 is the one for you as it has a much higher resolution.
The Ikan was temping however it has a preparatory a/v cord so if you need a replacement you are sunk. If that was not the case I might have tried one.

The real deciding factor was both Varizoom and B&H are DVI sponsors.
Hey help support the board we should support them back when we can.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Mike Teutsch July 15th, 2006 04:27 PM

Also, remember that these do not have underscan, so compensate accordingly.

Good shooting---Mike

Alan James July 15th, 2006 10:11 PM

Thanx again everybody for all the help. I am thinking that the Varizoom VZ-TFT 7” is exactly what I’m looking for. People have said that it’s not good for focusing but anything is better then the low res view finder that comes with the XL2. (Right?)

Bill Hamell July 16th, 2006 01:12 AM

Better but not the best if you want to use it for critical focusing then you need to spend the dollars for the Marshall or do like I do and haul around a large monitor.

Bill

Trish Howe July 17th, 2006 06:12 PM

Underscan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Also, remember that these do not have underscan, so compensate accordingly.

Good shooting---Mike

*Warning, My ignorance is showing...*

What is underscan?

Thanks,

Trish

Mike Teutsch July 17th, 2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trish Howe
*Warning, My ignorance is showing...*

What is underscan?

Thanks,

Trish

Normal viewfinders and monitors show a pretty picture, just not all of it! You may think that you have a great shot only to find out later that the mic boom was it the frame. This is because they do not show everything that is going to the tape, and will be seen on the TV later. Some are better than others, but I think on average they show only about 90% to 95% of what is actually being recorded. You can check your particular setup by taping something with specific borders for the viewfinder, then look at your actual footage on the computer and see what the difference is. Even the computer may not show all, burn a DVD to look at on a TV set too.

Anyway, a viewer or monitor with underscan shows the whole shot, usually with a blank border all around. One small problem, at least with my JVC monitor, is that when I put it on underscan it goes from a 9" monitor to about a 5" monitor. Oh well, better than nothing!

Mike

Mark Sasahara July 18th, 2006 04:23 PM

If you don't like the XL2's stock LCD monitor, which is crap, get the FU-1000 B&W viewfinder. This will allow you to focus accurately. The peaking function allows you to see things snap into focus. The framing is also nice, you see the whole image.

I'm saving my pennies for a Transvideo monitor, either the CineMonitor IIIa, or one of the Rainbow II models. I want to be able to use it as an onboard monitor, but I also need to be able to loop through to another monitor for the director. The Marshalls, Transvideos and Nebteks can do this. The Nebtek is less expensive and may be the way to go. The Transvideo monitors are muy expensive.

I got the Marshall 4" monitor, because I needed it for a job. It's okay, but everything is squeezed in 16x9 mode, so it takes a little getting used to. But, I can see what I'm doing when I'm jibbing, dollying, or doing other fancy things where I can't look through the viewfinder. I can also loop through to my other monitor, so the director can see what's happening. It's also good for some of the TV stuff I do, the director can either be tethered, or I mount it up top and have it pointing at the director so he/she can see the image.

Transvideo Intl.

Nebtek

Dan Gadd August 6th, 2006 09:04 PM

XL2 external monitor

Could anyone recommend a trustworthy, yet inexpensive and small external monitor? I need something that would be easy to travel with.

Jarrod Whaley August 7th, 2006 12:26 AM

I'd like to find something myself that is 16:9 (or at least switchable to letterbox), powered by an included rechargeable battery, and under $300. If such a thing exists by some miraculous stroke of serendipity, I've yet to find it. If anyone here has found such a gadget, do tell.

Jesse Redman August 7th, 2006 08:14 AM

I use a portable DVD player that has video in. It was inexpensive and does a great job of letting me focus and correctly frame my image.

The screen on the one I bought flips 180 degrees so it lays flat with the screen facing out. A nice convenience.

Dan Gadd August 7th, 2006 08:27 PM

Thanks for the tip Jesse. I actually have a portable DVD player, but it doesn't have a video in. Do you mind sharing the make and model of your player?

Brian Wheatley August 11th, 2006 06:45 AM

DVD players

Hi,
I just bought a polaroid model PDU1045. The good thing about this model is that it has a 10inch screen and the monitor does a complete 180 degree turn and folds back so all u get is the monitor. Place it in the case that comes with it and cross the straps and hey presto - you can then place the monitor over ur tripod!

Don't use it for colour critical use though but its great for focussing ur shots rather than peaking and magnifying! Might wanna make it mono.

Cheers

Brian

Daan Bras August 14th, 2006 11:52 AM

I finally got my set together. Received the nebtek battery converter for use with 12v monitor today and put it all together, here's how it looks:

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/bras/camera1.jpg

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/bras/camera2.jpg

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/bras/camera3.jpg

the monitor i got from ebay. Cheapish thing, but preforms quite well. It origional color was grey but i spraypainted it to black. For power i use nebtek's battery converter, so i can use standard canon batteries. I shortened the cables a bit so i'm not stuck with miles of useless cable.

Will Johnson August 23rd, 2006 08:26 PM

This is by no means good for much of anything other than a cheap reference monitor for use with a Glidecam, but what I did was go on over to Toys R Us and pick up one of those portable gaming screens for use with a GameCube. It included a cigarette lighter adapter which got me the connector I needed for adapting a 9.6v R/C car battery as a power source. So, I cut up the cable, spliced it to the wires on the battery, hooked it all up.

The screen featured an A/V input wire so I then plugged in the RCA output from the camera. Not so great for doing much other than not having to stair at the small viewfinder screen! Unfortunately, the screen isn't 16X9 so the image is stretched. There's a more expensive($100) PS2 screen available that is a widescreen(I think).

Whole thing cost me about $60. Works ok, but I think I'm gonna get that Nebtek battery thing and use this old LCD monitor I've got sitting in my closet!

Jim Benton August 24th, 2006 07:20 AM

Which monitor?

I just picked up an almost new XL2 and am wondering what would be the best monitor to use with it? I will be working at achieving a high quality image and need something that will do the job. I can imagine that I would also want one with 16X9 capability.

Thanks,
Jim

Josh Bass August 24th, 2006 08:45 AM

What size? Is it for post production or field work?

For field work, you usually see an 8" monitor, though you certainly could bring a 13/14" out there with you.

Anyway, I have a Sony PVM 14m2u (that's a 13" monitor) that I use for both field and post work. It's very nice (16:9, blue gun, good color reproduction), and can be had used for not too much off ebay (I would say between 4-500 bucks is the most you should pay, though I've seen 'em go for way less).

On the small side (the 8" monitors), many seem to like the PVM 8044q. Though it's small, it still has 500 lines of resolution, 16:9, all the goodies. These seem to go in the same price range as above

There's the less-awesome PVM 8041q, which is only 250 lines of res, and only has 16:9 in underscan mode (and it seems not all the 8041q's have 16:9 at all, according to the pics on ebay), and probably has other limitations I'm not familliar with. These seem to go around $300 on the 'bay.

Ash Greyson August 24th, 2006 11:03 AM

For critical focus you need one with 500 lines. If you shoot wider and mainly with the stock lens you can get away with a cheaper monitor but if you shoot with the lens long or a mini35 you will need the better monitor.

ash =o)

Jim Benton August 24th, 2006 03:07 PM

Thanks a bunch guys. Living in europe, i'm shooting pal; i take it that this info would pertain to this camera also.........or not?

Josh Dahlberg August 24th, 2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Benton
Thanks a bunch guys. Living in europe, i'm shooting pal; i take it that this info would pertain to this camera also.........or not?

Absolutely, in fact your Pal camera has 20% more resolution than NTSC, so being out of focus will show up ever so slightly more.

JVC make some very affordable "hi res" (note, not hi def) monitors, rated at 750+ lines of horizontal resolution, with all the bells and whistles (blue check, 16:9, underscan etc)... the basic Sony models cost the same amount with lower resolution and fewer features.

Size doesn't actually matter much - the 15", 17", 19" models all have the same features and resolution. Of course it's nice to have a bigger monitor if you're in a studio, but for portability you wouldn't want to go any bigger than 15".

Not sure where you are, but here in NZ I just picked up one of the 15" JVCs for equivalent to about 500 Euros, but admittedly that was grey market so it may be around 600 Euros with JVC warrenty. I also have a Sony 14" with lower specs (500 lines, no underscan) which actually cost more.

Stick with a CRT model. Although they are bulky, you just can't trust the colours on an LCD (unless you're willing to pay through the roof for a high end job, ie: something that will cost as much as your XL2).

Two things you should check before you buy: lines of resolution (>500 as Ash said), and underscan (so you can check the full frame - the XL2 viewfinder doesn't show 100% of what's being recorded to tape).

Jim Benton August 26th, 2006 05:13 AM

Thanks Josh. This is helpful. these monitors are not as common in france or germany ebay. i live in france but electronics are traditionaly a bit cheaper in germany than here. i'll keep looking on ebay for a bit longer before giving in to buying a new one.

Josh Dahlberg August 26th, 2006 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Benton
Thanks Josh. This is helpful. these monitors are not as common in france or germany ebay. i live in france but electronics are traditionaly a bit cheaper in germany than here. i'll keep looking on ebay for a bit longer before giving in to buying a new one.

Great. One more note, if you're looking at cheaper options, be sure that the monitor has s-video inputs (or BNC) so you can connect it easily to your camera at a higher quality than composite (any decent monitor will do).

And make sure it's rated as 500+ lines of res. Underscan is useful but not essential, so you can live without it if you're on a tight budget.

Happy hunting

Vedran Rupic August 28th, 2006 05:14 PM

laptop as a field monitor

I was thinking if one can use a laptop with firewire for monitoring the image, it should be sufficient for focus as it is pretty highres.
Besides, what app would one use in order to get a full screen realtime firewire monitoring?

Rainer Hoffmann August 28th, 2006 11:29 PM

Vedran,

I'm using a Dell notebook with PPro to monitor the image and to capture the footage. It's fine as long as you have access to external power. If the laptop runs on battery power, the screen gets pretty dark (to save power) and it is quite difficult to see anything on a sunny day.

For some reason I still don't understand the capture window of PPro doesn't show the image in real time but about 1/2 to 1 second later than the action. Not a big deal but sometimes it is distracting. Also you don't get a full screen monitoring in the PPro capture window. There are always several menue items (like record and stop buttons and so on) on the screen.

In short: it's possible to use a laptop for monitoring but a proper external monitor is much better for that purpose. On the other hand you can capture your footage to a hard disk and have the back-up on tape all at the same time.

Scott Nutter August 29th, 2006 04:40 AM

You should also consider DVRack. I use the software and find it very useful in my event work.

http://www.seriousmagic.com/dvrack.cfm

SN

Allan Beecroft August 29th, 2006 06:27 AM

I use DVRack also. It has a waveform monitor, vectorscope, audio analyser, screencapture feature and a nice field monitor which you can make full screen to help you focus. You see a bit more noise on full screen, but that's the laptop display. DVRack is very useful for me, especially for green screen work.

I was that impressed, I bought their Visual Communicator and Ultra 2 software as well :-)

Allan

Kelly Harmsworth August 29th, 2006 09:43 AM

Is there a similar program for the mac. I dual boot my macbook pro so I could run dvrack. I'm just wondering because then I could keep all my video work on the mac side of my computer.

Nick Weeks August 29th, 2006 09:56 AM

Well, Final Cut Pro has the live waveform and vectorscope in the "Log and Capture" window. You should be able to use the firewire out on your camera, and set the capture options to non-controllable device and use the built in scopes.

I've never tried this myself, but it should work...

Kelly Harmsworth August 29th, 2006 10:03 AM

That's true I never thought of trying that. I'll give it a shot and post if it works or not.

Kelly Harmsworth August 29th, 2006 02:22 PM

Well I tried it under final cut pro and it does work as a monitor and you can monitor all the scopes and such however you cannot record the video in final cut pro be cause it requires the camera to be in VTR mode in order to capture the stream from the camera.

Nick Weeks August 29th, 2006 03:13 PM

what if you set it to non-controllable device? Will it not record what the camera "sees"?

Kelly Harmsworth August 30th, 2006 08:52 AM

That might do it. I'll give that a try later.

David Liu September 2nd, 2006 07:29 AM

On-board monitor for XL2

Hey guys, I had my weapon for afew months now and I realise sometimes the viewfinder isnt sufficent enuff to help me focus, most of the time its 'trial and error'...

ANyone has any onboard monitor to recomment for the XL2??
Something doesnt cost a bomb too...

Thanks for reading, cheers
david, singapore

Bill Hamell September 2nd, 2006 08:32 AM

David,

Read through this thread I think you will find what you need. :-)
I ended up with the Varizoom 7" you may need a higher res monitor like the Marshall for focusing of course you will spend the $$$$ to match.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68671

Bill

David Liu September 3rd, 2006 12:46 AM

Hi kyle, yes thats exactly what I did, I see DIY-mounts like these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRACKET-combo-Ca...QQcmdZViewItem
Has anyone here tried one of these before?

Hi Bill, I read thru the thread, hows ur the performence of ur varizoom, and how portable is it when you are running around shooting stuff?

I have been searching around my country and I cant find dealers who can help me bring them in...
If I'm gonna buy it online, where do u think I shld buy from?

David, singapore :D

Bill Hamell September 3rd, 2006 06:39 AM

David,

The Varizoon 7" has worked out quite well, but I do not "run" around with it.
I have had it on the camera with a tripod and picked it up and moved it with no problems. For run and gun I have always used the viewfinder.

A good place to buy stuff here in the US is B&H good people and they ship overseas.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

No experence with that ebaY thing seems too pricey to me.
Interresting but pricey.

Bill