Adapting the Varizoom LCD to Use Canon Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 1st, 2002, 06:46 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Adapting the Varizoom LCD to Use Canon Batteries

I'm a relatively happy user of a Varizoom 5.6" lcd monitor. I say "relatively" because the lead-acid brick of a battery is pretty heavy and useless and the alternative is a wall-wart power converter. This has lead me to lust for the Nebtek lcd monitor which can use Canon BP series batteries. Very handy...but at $500...aw, jeez.

So is anyone enough of an electronics whiz to suggest how the Varizoom lcd monitor could use an XL1s battery (BP941 or BP945) like the Nebtek? I understand that there's a voltage conversion (7V - 12 V) involved. Can the charger/adapter be used?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2002, 01:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you scoped out the Nebtek site?

http://www.nebtek.com/poweropt.html

They sell a Canon battery plate seperately that they claim bumps 7.2v from the Li-Ion up to 12v... how they do that, I dunno.

Their Panasonic 7" switchable 16:9/3:4 is soooo drool-worthy...
CarterTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2002, 03:19 PM   #3

Aw, jeez. I didn't see this. Thanks very much for the tip and link! I think I'll try it out.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old March 2nd, 2002, 10:37 PM   #4

Great link!

This solves half of a problem involving my Varizoom monitor set up. I'm definitely going to get the Canon battery mount added.

Now, just have to find a metalworker here that can make the bracket I've drawn up to position the monitor to the left of the camera below the viewfinder.

Thanks for the tip.
Old March 10th, 2002, 02:12 AM   #5
Wrangler

Mind if I ask?

Ken & Z.,

If you had the option of starting over but had to choose between the two monitors, would you take the 5" Nebtek over your Varizoom? I'm STILL shopping, still waiting on news of the hmd's, STILL looking through that little viewfinder or lugging around a big monitor. Would love to end the search.

I see Varizoom has come out w/a pan 'n tilt system. Does that, along with their other accessories, tip the scale?

Also, did I read somewhere that Varizoom is going to get rid of that "brick," as Ken calls it, and go with Nebtek's design? I can't find info like that now so am thinking I saw it in a dream.
Old March 10th, 2002, 03:07 AM   #6

<<If you had the option of starting over but had to choose between the two monitors, would you take the 5" Nebtek over your Varizoom?>>

Camlady,

The price difference between the Varizoom and the Nebtek is the deciding factor for me. I can buy the 6" Varizoom AND send it to Nebtek to have the custom battery mount added for way lower than the Nebtek monitor. Since I have no complaints about the Varizoom LCD quality, that's fine for me. Wish I could compare them side-by-side, but still the Nebtek would have to blow the Varizoom away before I'd dish out the extra cash.

<<I see Varizoom has come out w/a pan 'n tilt system. Does that, along with their other accessories, tip the scale? >>

Not really. I tend to pick and choose what I think are the best accessories rather than sticking with one brand. It just turns out that my shoulder mount and LCD monitor are from Varizoom because they make quality products at reasonable prices. Haven't looked at any pan 'n tilt systems seriously yet, but when I do I'm sure Varizoom will get a close look. Nebtek has some nice albeit pricey mounting options. And they have the best (if not only) solution for adapting Canon batteries to the Varizoom monitor. So, it's pick and choose really as far as accessories are concerned...at least for me.
Old March 10th, 2002, 02:49 PM   #7

I have not actually seen the Nebtek monitor so I really can't compare the images. Assuming that the two images are comparable, however, I might have gone with the Nebtek to avoid the hassle of getting the Canon battery adapter retrofitted.

I think that these monitors are all OEM'ed from another mfr. There are several brands that all have the same size, resolution and cases. I also have a Marshalll lcd that's basically identical to the Varizoom. Since it cost a bit less than the VZ, looking at the purchase today I might have skipped the VZ, purchased the Marshall and had it Nebtek'ed.

But I've not yet Nebtek'ed any of my monitors. So the jury's still out on the quality of that operation.

Old March 10th, 2002, 07:20 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

There are only a couple-two or three different PCB boards that these monitors are made on. Then there's only a couple different plastic housing cases they come in. For awhile, Elite Video, Markertek and VariZoom were all selling the same monitor. The Nebtek is a different one. I understand VariZoom is changing to a different one as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 12:55 AM   #9
Wrangler

Because of all the helpful replies/info I've decided to definitely....

...wait a little longer. I'd sure be ticked if I bought the Nebtek just in time to have VariZoom come out with what would surely be an improvement of some kind (wonder what "different" means) plus maybe have the battery mount XL1 people like.

Thanks for the insight, guys.
Old March 11th, 2002, 06:36 AM   #10
Major Player

John, have you contacted Nebtek and received a quote for this upgrade to the Varizoom? If so, I'd like to know what it would cost.
Old March 11th, 2002, 07:32 AM   #11

Hi Ed,

They say $100 for the adapter alone (if you want to try to install it yourself), and $135 if you want them to install it. Add to that the postage.

Worth it IMHO to get rid of the brick!
Old April 22nd, 2002, 02:48 PM   #12
NEBTEK

The hardest part is finding the correct soldering points on your monitors circuitry board without schematics. If your a technical whiz we could send the Li-battery adapter, and tell you what to look for.
As far as our OEM goes... the modules are Primeview (the same as Transvideo) which is why they don't reflect or washout (ie. you don't need to hood them). They also tend to last a little longer than your standard tft/lcd.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software