Matrox MXO + Dell 2405 OR Intensity Pro + JVC 24" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matrox MXO + Dell 2405 OR Intensity Pro + JVC 24"

So I am building out my new system, and selling my trusty G5, which has been great to date, I just got the itch.

I am an editor who is doing more and more color correcting for projects. I am looking for a reliable editing & color correction set-up. The computer will be a 8core 2.8 MacPro with 10GB of ram, and the stock ATI Radeon card (i have the Nvidia on order, I didnt want to wait 4-7 weeks for the computer). I will be using a 24" Samsung 244T as my main display monitor. Here are the two scenarios I want opinions and help on.

Scenario 1: Matrox MXO + Dell 2407 or 2405
I know it was designed for the ACD, but all reports say it works great with the dell. The majority of material i will be working with is 720 24p or 1080 24p.

Scenario 2: Black Magic Intensity HD Pro + JVC JVC DT-V24L1U
This scenario is a premium of $1500 to scenario 1. Is it worth it? Is the Intensity Pro higher quality than the MXO for display?

I do NOT need capture ability, and I have an on set monitor, and this second monitor will not leave the edit suite. The thought for both set ups is the use the second monitor to for bins and such when editing and then swtich to preview when I need it. THoughts?? Is scenario 2 that much better than 1 if I dont need capture?
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Randall,

I was wondering if you bought one of the setups?
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I did! I bought the Matrox and an ACD, and I run component out to a panasonic pro series plasma (42") for client monitoring. THe blacks on the ACD aren't great, so you need to rely on your scopes in Color, BUT the colors are accurate. I brought in a Sony for comparison, and surprisingly it does match. I have a 30" main ACD so I don't really use the 23" for anything but video monitoring in Final Cut & Color.

I would like to see the JVC and compare the blacks, if they are leagues better I may upgrade to it. But the current set up works GREAT and looks wonderful.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Look up the Matrox MXO2... you won't need Aja or BM costs anymore and it's portable or desktop - it really is going to be a special piece of equipment... all the in/outs including sdi and hdmi and 5.1 audio just to name a few... due out in June/July '08... saw it at NAB... and unlike IOHD, this will have a 4pin battery connect - BINGO! This will be worth the wait. Best part - $1500!

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software