Dell E248WFP 24inch LCD QUestion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Monitor

Just ordered the 2408WFP (from Dell, at a fraction under 430 quid delivered.) Will post about it once it's arrived and let you know what I think.

I already know what my wife will think about it ;-)
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Andy,

Yes please let us know what you think.
I want to get a few reviews before
coughing up the dough.

kajito
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dell E2408WFP Ultrasharp Ordered Today - Arrives Tomorrow

Will do. Just had an automated phone call to say it will be delivered tomorrow morning! That's just over 24 hrs - pretty fast for free "typically 5-7 day" shipping!

I updated the drivers on my 512Mb ATI Radeon X1600Pro AGP videocard during this lunchtime (since I work from home) just to be sure to have the best on the machine for when it arrives.

I know my PC/videocard might struggle a little to fill all those pixels on two high res monitors (the existing Dell Ultrasharp and this new huge widescreen one.) However, this new E2408WFP monitor has been bought with one eye on the fact that my 3.5 year old Dell Dimension Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz, 2.5GB RAM, although having given me sterling HDV editing service is getting a little long in the tooth and will be upgraded sometime this year ...if and when I feel flush.

There are several (3 so far) customer reviews about this new Dell monitor, and 7 including an especially very informative and objective one about it's predecessor, the 2407WFP on the Amazon.com (i.e. the US site.) Also, there are some customer reviews on the Dell US site (7 so far I think) and a single, but glowing review, on the UK/EU Dell site if anyone wants to take a look and try and form their own opinions from them.

I would hope to report back in a few days time on how I get on with it - busy weekend as one of my daughters turns 5 on Sunday and she will be the priority this weekend for sure!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; March 13th, 2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Typos
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Major Player

ok thanks!
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dell E2408WPF - Further Info Link

It's arrived! Further information here on what I think of this new monitor.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...394#post842394
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
It should be fine. Just be aware that the colors are likely off, since most computer monitors are not designed to have good color for video. If you had the money, you'd get a proper broadcast monitor... which can do things computer monitors can't or aren't designed to do (e.g. handle interlacing properly).

If you're deciding between computer monitors (which have their issues as noted above), the Dell is probably fine as their monitors tend to be very good computer monitors.

Supposing you had a wide gamut display and you are putting normal (e.g. Rec. 709) gamut material on it... normally the values will pass straight through and the colors will be wrong (for consumer uses that is fine since everything becomes more saturated). You would need color management to get proper colors.

2- In Vegas, you need to manually wrangle your color spaces sometimes.

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/v...lorspaces.html

Without it, your monitoring may be wrong.
Glenn, how close is it possible to come with something like these DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP to Rec. 709 gamut? Is it possible to adjust them or compensate for the difference with enough accuracy to approximate final Rec. 709 color output?

Like many others here, we're seriously thinking of putting some of these on our AE and PP CS3 workstations. For us, it's also a matter of cost/benefit (we do a lot of non-profit work), but since we're working mostly with Rec. 709 material, final color output is a serious concern.
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Is it possible to adjust them or compensate for the difference with enough accuracy to approximate final Rec. 709 color output?
It depends on whether the monitor or your software can do it. (I have no idea.)

2- Or... you could just get a broadcast monitor. If you're delivering SD, then a SD CRT broadcast monitor would be a good idea (and those don't cost that much).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software