Dumb, dumb question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dumb, dumb question...

... but I'm really lost here.

I have acquired my very first real monitor. It has all the BNC inputs and composite as well. However, my graphics card in the PC has the following outputs> DVI, HDMI and S-video.

Now my question is - how/what does it take to connect the monitor to the graphics card? I want to edit on my normal flatscreen monitor in Premiere, and then see the preview on the CRT monitor.

It may or may not be simple to do, but at the moment I'm totally lost for ideas (and enough knowlegde), so ANY help will be much appreciated.

I only need to check the quality of the takes on the CRT monitor (working in News broadcast there's not time to much "polishing" of the clips), so I don't really NEED the options of for example a Matrox or Extreme card - but if that's what's needed, so be it.

But basically I would be looking for either a cable solution or a sort of breakout box solution - again - I have NO idea of what will be needed to marry the two pieces of hardware.

HELP!!!!

Peter in Denmark
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You can connect your video card to the monitor with an s-video to composite adapter.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Really that simple?

Will give it a try - and thanks, Robert - You made my day :-)

Kind regards

Peter
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Trustee

I believe you will also have to adjust the display settings on your computer to tell the graphics card that you have a monitor attached (it will probably be "tv" in the card drivers). Basically enabling "tv out".
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Vito,

Will try that too. I DO have a TV Out choice in the Nvidia control panel.

Thanks

Peter
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
You can connect your video card to the monitor with an s-video to composite adapter.
You sure about that? I understood that the signals are very different. There are some computers (and probably video cards) that have special s-video connectors that also include pins for composite video, that you can access via a dongle. However, i think there is quite a bit more than a simple adapter to connect a true svhs signal to a composite input.

... or i'm wrong.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You can convert the signal but it may degrade the video quality and the color. You want the CRT to be as accurate as possible. If it's good and calibrated properly it will be as accurate as the signal you're feeding.

Graphics cards with S-video out are generally not the most accurate kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Erfurt View Post
Really that simple?

Will give it a try - and thanks, Robert - You made my day :-)

Kind regards

Peter

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software