nano-Spindt FED monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

nano-Spindt FED monitor

Anyone see this monitor at NAB or know anything about it? Features listed on their site include:

- CRT phosphors calibrated to SMPTE/EBU standards
- 1920 x 1080 pixels on 24" to 26" display
- Equipped with input for HD sources recorded at 240Hz
- True black reproduction
- Wide viewing angle
- 10 thousand emitters per pixel
- No-blur display
- Thin panel with low power consumption

Sounds like a recipe for a very expensive monitor, but still... anyway, here's the links:

Field Emission Technologies (small site)
http://fe-tech.co.jp/en/press/press.html

YOUTUBE (promo clip + some close-up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML2Cik7-7ic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Ef4wCVAtM
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I had a chance to see it at NAB.

Quote:
- CRT phosphors calibrated to SMPTE/EBU standards
I believe what they're saying is that it *can* have phosphors that can do EBU, SMPTE C, or Rec. 709 primaries.

Native gamma response is different than a CRT's. It should be possible for them to do color matching with a CRT easily.

Quote:
- Equipped with input for HD sources recorded at 240Hz
The motion looks good, but I don't think there are many common interfaces that would drive a frame rate that high.

Of what they were showing, the top and bottom halves of the screen were driven independently and there is a slightly line between the two. It's pretty subtle (like how the wires in Trinitron tubes are pretty subtle).

Quote:
- True black reproduction
Of what I saw, on almost all scenes the FED looked like it had better blacks. The CRT has a high degree of flaring/halos... it's kind of like there is a soft focus filter over the screen.

On a full screen of black, the FED didn't quite hit a black that was like the CRT's. It might have been an issue with the prototype, how they set it up, or something else.

The FED prototype had better blacks on 99% of the content they showed it looked like.

Quote:
Sounds like a recipe for a very expensive monitor
Pricing not announced.

They claim that their display is cheaper to manufacture than a LCD, if mass produced.

At NAB they were trying to secure financing so that they could build a plant. They are targeting the master/broadcast monitor market first as it will take less financing.

I heard different things about when such displays might ship.

- They claim no patent issues (whereas SED does have patent issues). I'm not a lawyer so I wouldn't know if they actually do have patent issues.

2- In my opinion, their displays look promising and I hope they get their financing. But it might not happen.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software