HD color correction on SD monitor and colorspace issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Major Player

HD color correction on SD monitor and colorspace issues

Currently I color correct SD DV on a JVC TM-H150 CRT from within Premiere Pro CS3. I recently upgraded my graphics card to a ATI Radeon HD2600. This card has dual DVI as well as s-video and comp. outs. In an HDV project, I am able to send the Premiere program window out through the graphics card via s-video to the same JVC monitor. My goal is to use the monitor to color correct HD video if at all possible. For my purposes, color accuracy is more important than seeing full HD resolution. My questions are regarding colorspace. I know that when using cards like blackmagic or a box like the MXO the HD 709 colorspace is converted to 601 colorspace when downconverting to SD. My question is: when using a graphics card like the one I am using to downconvert the HD signal, is the colorspace being changed to 601, or am I seeing the original 709 from within my project? I guess I am confused as to what the graphics card is doing during conversion. I need to know what colorspace I am seeing on the monitor.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Did I stump the forum?
Brian Tori is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software