Getting zebra stripes on Monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 5th, 2003, 10:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Getting zebra stripes on Monitor?

Is it possible to get the zebra stripes displayed on the camera viewfinder to show up on an external monitor?

Is there some special hardware to do this, or is it even available on some cams?
Blip Pio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Not on any camera I've used. There was some discussion in the XL1S forum months ago regarding intercepting the video signal to the viewfinder and sending it to an external monitor. But I don't know that anyone's actually done this.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 06:42 AM   #3
Warden

Zebra stripes are not that accurate that any mfg. would go to the cost of making it available. They are intended for more ENG or run & gun style shooting. If you need a bigger size and, of course accuracy, get a waveform monitor.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

On another note, if you are using a NTSC monitor for output, then in some ways, you don't need the zebra, because if it's calibrated properly, you will quickly see what will be blown out on any television anywhere in the frame.

I find Zebra's misleading, and depending on the look you are going for completely useless.

They come in handy to find hot-spots when you are running and gunning so that you can quickly ask subjects to move away from a light source, or reposition your camera at an event to crop out that burn. Great if you do event shooting or weddings.

On the slow delibrate setups, which is the type of shoots I am primarily involved in, I ignore them.
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #5
Warden

I use monitors for framing shots, but monitors can lie. You never know when your careful calibration gets thrown off by a crew member adjusting the brightness, contrast etc. When I'm doing critical work I use the zebra bars or ideally a waveform monitor/vectorscope. But i do not trust monitors for critical work by themselves. I've seen too many people get burned trusting just a monitor.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 7th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #6
New Boot

thanks for the input, guys. Does anyone have a good source for a primer on using a waveform monitor?

What about software waveform monitors? is the one included with FCP decent? would it be better than an ntsc monitor?
Blip Pio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #7
Warden

Software waveform monitors and vectorscopes are fine. I still use monitors to check framing, color and luminance on less critical work. Try a search with Google and you should find a link to a waveform tutorial. A link to a tutorial was posted here sometime ago, but it might be worth a search also.

Old August 7th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Blip,
See my post in this thread concerning that color correction book. It will fill the bill on illustrating the use of vectorscopes and waveform monitors.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software