7" Native HD Component monitor, $400 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Trustee

7" Native HD Component monitor, $400

Xenarc 700YV: $320
Mayflash VGA001 Component to VGA converter: $50
DC-DC SEPIC regulator: $20

With my DIY hands, I am up for saving a couple hundred bucks. For others the trouble may not be worth it.

I started with my dremel, cutting a hole in the back of the case of the Xenarc. I cut a small project box to fit flush against the hole, and then used putty to attach and shape the edges. Drilled holes for the Mayflash component in, and wired up the VGA output from the converter to the internal pins on the Xenarc monitor. Then wired up the power from the 12v input of the monitor through the DC regulator to the converter's DC input. Attached the mayflash board to the enclosure with some glue and JB weld, and closed it up.

It saves the bulk of having an extra battery pack, and two extra wires, as well as having to buy the extra four AA batteries that wear out after 2 hours; I have two big 4500mAh 12v bricks I use for the monitor, so the extra power draw is not a concern.

If anyone in the Xenarc+Mayflash situation would like me to, I can build small doo-hickies that take 12v in, and split it to 12v and 6v for the mayflash and xenarc. They are not resistive voltage dividers so there is about 80% power efficiency in the conversion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software