HD CRT monitor flickering. I suspect frame rate, but why? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Major Player

HD CRT monitor flickering. I suspect frame rate, but why?

The set-up: Mac G5 with Kona2 card playing 1080psf24 video to a 24" Sony Trinitron BVM-D24E1WU broadcast monitor (which is a CRT monitor).

The issue: Very noticeable flickering in highlights.

The suspect: the 24 fps frame rate (occurs with 1080psf23.98 and 1080i25 as well).

The mystery: it doesn't occur with 1080i30 or 1080i29.97 which reinforces the suspicion of frame rates, however the monitor does appear to be properly sync'd for each frame rate, which is what causes confusion for me.

If the genlock is correct, shouldn't that quell the flickering? Or is this going to happen no matter what due to the non-NTSC (29.97) frame rate?
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

This is normal behavior for that monitor and those framerates.

At those framerates, the raster is scanning at 48hz and 50hz, respectively. Couple that with fast phosphor decay times and you get flicker.

If you use a Kona3 card you can have the card add pulldown in hardware and drive the monitor with a 1080i29.97 output.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software