Field LCD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Field LCD

Gearing up for a production and am in the process of gathering all the equipment. In the market for an affordable monitor we can use in the field. I'll be using it during the shoots to see how the shots look, as well as using it to coordinate our crane shots. I’m looking for something on the smaller side, but obviously larger than the screen on the camera. Looking for an LCD screen, and have no idea where to begin.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #2
New Boot

I just bought an Ikan V8000HDe and love it (8-inch HD and SD). I needed something that runs on batteries, as I can not rely on AC power in the field. I have a lot of Sony batteries, so this fit the bill. They have other sizes too. Check them out here:

ikancorp.com: Small LCD Monitors, Teleprompter, Fluorescent Video Lights, & more

A note of caution if you get this, be sure to specify the battery mounting plate you need for the batteries you use, they have plates for Sony L-series, Panasonic, JVC and Canon. The plate is supposed to ship with the monitor, according to Ikan, but B&H didn't know that when I ordered, so Ikan is making good on the issue. The team at Ikan were very good to work with and quick to make things right.
Kip McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Trustee

We bought a Delvcam 7XLPro from Markertek to be a field monitor attached to a multbox (we have to provide pool video feeds to other media on occasion) and it's nice and fairly inexpensive, can run on battery pack, car battery or ac. 5.6 inch 16:9 format, ntsc pal or secam, $219 by itself or $249.95 with a sunshade, battery pack, case, etc. there is a 7 inch model with the accessories for $319.95.
Ours has a little stand or you can mount it on a bogen clamp or something...they have a bunch of others going up to 20 inch, some in 4:3 format, etc etc. Audio and Video Equipment - Professional Broadcast Studio Equipment - Markertek.com

Usual disclaimer, we're a customer, have no relationship with them..../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Excellent, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'm looking to spend about $300, which put's me in the 4-5.3inch range, it seems. I'll keep looking around. Again, thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software