SMPTE phosphors vs. P22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SMPTE phosphors vs. P22

What is the difference between these two when selecting a video editing monitor? Which is better/worse and why? Thanks
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

the SMPTE is suppose to be "color accurate" to go along with your SMPTE color bars -- i haven't check awhile (2 years) but was approx 25-40% MORE (depending on manufacturer) for SMPTE monitor VS. P22 ... also i SMPTE usually has more resolution ( both are beyond SD tape formats resolutions) .. from what i remember SMPTE approx 800 lines rez ..P22 approx 600 lines rez ....
if you want to see the full resolution hook up a 2/3 CCd camera head that has 700-800 lines and you will be quite happy ...

DV25 looks excellent on either ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #3
Warden

I've written about this on several occasions, so you may want to do a search. If the client is going to see the monitor use the P22 phosphors. P22 has more the look of consumer monitors and will be more appealing to the client. If your work is for critical color correction or is for network broadcast get SMPTE-C phosphors. Client won't like the look, but they are more accurate.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software