Varizoom Vz-tft-4 Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 16th, 2001, 11:42 AM   #1
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Varizoom Vz-tft-4 Monitor

I'm looking at getting the Verizoom VZ-TFT-4 monitor package. Does anyone use this now or have any input to the quaility of this product or have any suggestions for alternatives (similar price)?

Also, if you are using it now, have you found a better way to mount the monitor instead of on the light bracket? It seems it would make the XL1 difficult to use if you wanted to use a light.

Anyway, in general, any tips/suggestions for a good monitor at a good price?

Thanks in advance.
wefdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2001, 05:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the 5.6 monitor

I has great picture for a tft of course it does not beat the tube. Be reminded that you have to use a 12V power supply and you have to run video and audio cables from the monitor to the xl1.

I seem to recall that someone on this site fashioned or modified a grip much like the one that they use for slr cameras. With this grip he was able to mount a monitor and lamp at the same time.
The grip looks like those hammer type flash brackets.

Manny
Manuel Albarracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2001, 09:34 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I have the 5.6, too.

It works really great. The only problem I've experienced is that it is difficult to see in bright, direct daylight...even with the hood (understandably). But since I avoid shooting in the mid-day sun, that usually isn't a problem.

I'm really glad I have mine...use it all the time.

I'm interested in modifying a mount myself. I'd like to add a "flash grip" style mount that attaches to my tripod at the point where the head and legs attach. As long as the grip raises it a few inches, it should be in good viewing position and stable. Plus, that'll allow a light to be used at the same time.

Another option is one of those strong flexible things (Don't know the name of them) that companies like Bogen and Manfrotto sell. They have clamps you can attach to one end (to clamp on to the tripod) and then a screw on the other (to screw directly into the monitor). Since they're flexible, you don't have to worry about tilt or angle. They seem fairly stable with tripod work, but will bounce around with any movement.

If anyone has already worked up something like this, please let me know. Or if you have a better idea...absolutely let me know!

Thanks.
Old October 18th, 2001, 06:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Varizoom/XL1

My nickle opinion- you might consider the a 16x9 minitor for the XL1. I bought the 5.6 from varizoom and used witha rented XL1 couple times. I found it next to impossible to judge critical forus due to screen pixel size (too coarse in my view) The image is fine for framing. If one could trust the XL1 lense to zoom in and out without losing focus that'd be a different matter. With the manual or WA lense it would probably serve better. Still, I think the 16x9 might be more appropriate (for me at least)
Henry Czuprinski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software