"SDI" HD monitor with new Dell and adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Major Player

"SDI" HD monitor with new Dell and adapter?

I am looking to get a larger SDI field monitor for my EX-1, to use especially when I am shooting with a 35mm adapter. I have a Marshall 7" monitor and it is sufficient (although arguable a similar resolution as the EX-1 LCD), but I would like something that can do 1080 over SDI. I was considering the Panasonic 17" and its a great monitor, but only 720p (with no pixel-to-pixel) and is about $2k. I am now looking into an SDI to DVI or HDMI adapter and a Dell (or other) computer LCD monitor.

I have the Dell 2408 (generation before the HDMI) monitors on my workstation and they are great looking, but wouldn't mind something smaller for field use and saw this:
Dell SX2210 Full HD 22 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor Details

It looks nice, is 1920x1200 has HDMI and DVI, and it's quite inexpensive which makes me wonder if it will be that good. And my thought was to get the Blackmagic HDLink SDI-DVI converter, but now that is replaced (at the same price) by the HDLink Pro, which one would say is great because it has more features, but it is bigger, which I don't really want.

BM has a much smaller SDI-HDMI converter but it is the same price as the HDLink Pro; am I silly to pay the same for something with much fewer features?

Any thoughts on these products and whether this will create a good monitoring solution (especially for focus) out of the EX-1?

Thanks,
Benjamin
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't speak on behalf of that monitor, but I do own a Samsung 22" Syncmaster with the same resolution and HDMI on it. I plug my PS3 into it through HDMI, and it looks just as good at my 50" Sony Bravia no lie. It does exactly what it says. Mostly play Cal of Duty on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software