Getting a better video signal. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Boyd.

Which Brand DVD recorder do you have?

I was down at the shops today and saw ones from Toshiba, Pioneer, Panasonic and Philips that had firewire in/outs. The cheaper ones are one's without built-in hard-disks. My impression is that when dealing with dvd to stick with Pioneer and toshiba? How is the panasonic or philips? Does the firewire in/outs work as i would assume? device control available?

Any advice from you or others is most appreciated...
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #17
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Lee : Which Brand DVD recorder do you have?
Quote:
I have a 17" Sony HD LCD (1280x768) which I feed it from a Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder
<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Lee : Does the firewire in/outs work as i would assume? device control available?

Guess it depends on what you assume. All the consumer models that I've seen have firewire IN only (although mine does send firewire device control OUT for the purpose of controlling a camcorder). This makes them unsuitable for recapturing video archived to DVD in your NLE via firewire. Nevertheless, I find mine useful as a simple way to distribute things at higher quality than VHS. As I work mostly in 16:9 it's also nice to distribute DVD's since the player can letterbox as needed. I think some of the expensive pro decks will send firewire data out.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with recorders other than the GX7, and have been happy with it. However, on another forum one of the members has complained of problems with the same unit, so your mileage may vary...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software