HD TV for with Blackmagic Intensity Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #1
New Boot

HD TV for with Blackmagic Intensity Pro

I understand it is not the same as the $5k broadcast monitor, but what is a pretty good choice for a small HD TV for with the Blackmagic Intensity Pro?

How about for example this one?
Newegg.com - ViewSonic 22" 1080p LCD HDTV VT2230 w/ 6 video inputs including digital HDMI

Thanks!
Gustav Damave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A big electronic shop in my city is selling 32" LCD , full HD for $420. and prices are going down every week. There is almost no excuse not to get a big LCD TV screen for monitoring.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Gustav,

You'll have to figure that out on your own :-)

What I will tell you is that you should look for a TV that has:

1) The resolution you need. If you plan to do 1080p/i then you should get one with 1920 x 1080 resolution. This is more than just "1080p capable". It's been a while since I looked, but the min size for this is 28-32".

2) For color work, you should find one that has the ability to adjust brightness, contrast, white point, and the primaries (RGB) hue and saturation. If you can find one that will adjust the secondaries hue and sat all the better. Cheep (small) TVs with the ability to adjust the pri/sec hue and sat are hard to find. I have not seen one yet (but I'm waiting).

Personally, because I'm one that can't aford a broadcast monitor yet, I'm using a 40" Samsung Series 5 LCDs, driving it with an Intensity card. The picture and color are stunning.

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Take a look at the Vizio VA22LF LCD TV.
I did a review of it on my blog LVProductionsTools of the Trade: REVIEW of VIZIO VA22LF (22" 1080P) TV.

It's the smallest true 1080P TV of it's kind, with lots of manual picture controls and plenty of ports for your viewing pleasure. While not the best 1080P set on the market, it has worked very well for me for color grading fairly closely via Intensity Pro from Sony Vegas and FCP.

Overall I like the picture on the Samsungs or the Sharps, but the I need a small 1080P monitor for my small production space so the Samsungs were a bit too large, and the Sharps have a Dynamic Contrast filer in their sets, that you can't disable. So once you calibrate the TV and then run some footage through it, then your picture instantly changes from what you have set.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Michael.

I was just looking at that Vizio when you posted this!

Then I saw a very similar model: VO22LF
VIZIO

It has even more calibration options:
http://www.vizio.com/assets/0/92/440...8c044e96b1.pdf
(Starting at page 39)
Gustav Damave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Damave View Post
Thanks Michael.

I was just looking at that Vizio when you posted this!

Then I saw a very similar model: VO22LF
VIZIO

It has even more calibration options:
http://www.vizio.com/assets/0/92/440...8c044e96b1.pdf
(Starting at page 39)
Actually Gustav the manual controls seem identical to the VA22LF. I didn't mention everything in my quick review of it, as I wouldn't use them for proper color calibration. For viewing pleasure they would be helpful, but for more critical color production needs, they would be detrimental to the true image that I would need.

I don't really know what the difference is between the VO22LF and the VA22LF. Someone asked me this once before, and I looked over the specs and couldn't find anything. The only major one that I can tell is that the VA22LF (11lbs.) is lighter than the VO22LF (16 lbs.) for some reason and the body form factor is different between the models.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
New Boot

They are indeed very similar. The only difference I could find was that the VO22LF has one additional setting in the 'advanced video' menu called 'Adaptive Luma'.

I suppose it would be nice to be able to switch that off.
Gustav Damave is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software