Good monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 24th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good monitor?

I found some pretty good deals on used Sony GVM-1311Q 14" color monitors. Video editing is just a hobby for me so I'd rather not lay down a lot of cash for a top quality monitor, but I would like to use something that can be calibrated better then my TV set. Does anyone have any experience with this monitor? Any other suggestions on an inexpensive monitor?

thanks,
Barry
Barry Lajnwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Trustee

I haven't actually used one, so I can't speak from experience. Looking at the monitor's manual, though, I can tell you that it doesn't have a blue-only switch that would make it easier to calibrate. You can look at the manual here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/GVM1311Q.PDF

You can always use a deep blue filter to calibrate your monitor, but having a blue only switch makes it easier.

That's my thoughts, anyway. Maybe other, more knowledgable people will have some advice for you as well.

Christopher
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:07 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
You can always use a deep blue filter to calibrate your monitor
That should be a blue gel, not filter. Sorry about that.

Christopher
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:38 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Even though a lot of folks are down on ebay, I still search it when I need something. I found a 20" NEC 2000 video monitor for like $150. It has a blue switch, S-vid in and out, and more. It was well used, but in great working condition.
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help everyone. I hadn't realized that monitor didn't have a blue-only mode and that is one of the features I am looking for.

take care,
Barry
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #6
Trustee

I purchased a Sony broadcast monitor off of ebay. It was damaged in shipping, but that was the shipper's fault. So we found another seller on ebay selling the exact same model, but in our city, so we went and picked it up at their location ourselves. Another advantage was that we were able to examine it before we bought it.

Christopher
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I finally found the right monitor for me. It didn't have a blue-only mode but the price was too good to pass up ($70 for a 14" JVC monitor in good working order). My only question now is if these are the right kind of blue gels to get:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=31913&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=31911&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

Should I get the larger ones or just use a couple of the smaller ones to adjust the monitor settings?
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Any thoughts?
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #9
Warden

I use a number 47 blue filter. You could probably use a number 80 or 81 filter also. B & H would have these. A small size like 49mm would be fine and relatively inexpensive and very durable.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks Jeff.
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

One last question: will any kind of filter do, or does it have to be specifically made for tricolor separation? I found #80 Primary Blue and #81 Urban Blue lighting gel for substantially less money than the #47 tricolor separation filter at B&H and was wondering if those would be alright.

thanks again,
Barry
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #12
Wrangler

From my experience the R80 gel is probably OK, but you will need to double or triple it up to get it dense enough. It sounds like that #47 filter might be a good solution however if it really only lets through primary blue, plus it would hold up for a long time as Jeff suggests.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software