JVC vs Sony NTSC monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 4th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #1
New Boot

JVC vs Sony NTSC monitors

I've always thought that JVC was more bang for the buck than Sony. There seems to be a $200 difference for the same features. Any reason NOT to go JVC? I have the money for either but could use the saved money for other stuff. Thanks.
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 03:24 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I've always appreciated the switchable 16:9 feature of the Sony PVM-14M2U and similar monitors. Does the JVC equivalent offer 16:9 as well?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 04:03 PM   #3
New Boot

Here are some specs of a JVC. Seems it has what you say is necessary for $875.

The BM-H1310SU broadcast color production monitor is designed for studio reference or critical viewing applications. Features a spectacular 750 lines of horizontal resolution, SMPTE-C phosphers and switchable 4:3/16:9 aspect ratios. Features an advanced CPU with memory for instant parameter setting recall.

A Blue Check mode is built-in to allow chroma/phase adjustments to be made easily and quickly.

• Underscan allows the entire active picture area to be displayed. This allows the operator to view and check the pictures edges.
The Pulse Cross feature displays the blanking area and sync/burst signal by displaying the horizontal and vertical intervals.
Old August 4th, 2002, 04:08 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I'm looking over the specs for this JVC monitor in a B&H catalog and it appears that it's PAL / NTSC switchable as well, which can be a significant assett for some folks. My own initial feeling is for the Sony, if not for its reputation alone, as I'm in the market for a pro monitor myself. Based on the specs and price of this JVC model, though, I can't see any reason not to go for it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #5
New Boot

a reply on another forum says they are very good. as i said in my origianl post...i've always felt sony's were overpriced and if there was another monitor that was just as good, savings would be realized. To me this looks like it. I think I'll get it on Tuesday at B&H.
Old August 4th, 2002, 06:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Here's a question that I've had since the first time I looked at an older xl1 on an 800 line sony monitor at B&H photo. The footage looked dreadfully fuzzy (especially compared to the $16000 sony dvcam sitting next to it.) But for those of us using Mini DV Canon cameras, is there any need to go to a 750 line monitor? (Especially if it makes us insecure about our image quality.) Or will a standard 500 line monitor do just as well.

Any thoughts?
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 08:56 PM   #7
Warden

Monitors are one of the things that specs don't tell the entire story. A monitor's image has to look right. It has to look right to you, to the editor, but most importantly the client. Its tough to explain specs to a client. The client expects the image to look a certain way. For most clients, editors etc. the Sony phosphors, the Sony image, is what looks right. JVC monitors have great specs and so do the Panasonics. So, what am I saying? If your the only one who will look at the monitor, pick the monitor that looks best to you. But if there is a chance your clients will view the image, get the Sony.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #8
Major Player

BM-H1310SU is p-22?

I was just looking at the specs for BM-H1310SU and on JVC's home website it said it was using p-22 phosphors not SMPTE-C as stated on BHphoto's website. I'm just confused any reason why they would get it wrong and who is right?

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #9
Warden

I suspect B & H is wrong. The price seems way too cheap for SMPTE-C phosphors, but just a guess.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:59 AM   #10
Major Player

Lol. Yah I would think so. Since when would JVC post something wrong about a product. So what is the lowest price I can expect to pay for a SMPTE-C monitor?

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software