handheld TV as preview/framing monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 11th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #16
Wrangler

can't picture it!

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeremy Davidson :
I built a simple arm that swings out from the center pivot point that holds the camera/viewer. This way it stays with me as I rotate the boom around, but it doesn't change angle as I go up and down (LCD viewing angle stays the same). -->>>

Hi Jeremy,

Is there any way you could either post a link to a picture of your setup or send one to my e-mail address? I've got an lcd monitor that I'm wanting to mount on a 6' crane, and what you've done sounds like it would work for me. Trouble is, I have to see stuff before it really makes sense. Specifically, I'm wanting to see how you attached it to the center point.

Thanks!
Lorinda
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm building a simple crane and needed a remote monitor just to keep an eye on framing. I didnt want to spend much now since I plan to experiment with the rig and then find out what features I really want for a better implementation.

One day I started thinking about my daughter's Gameboy Advance SP, which fortunately she doesnt use much.

Sure enough you can by an AV adapter for it for $30:

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allmedia/prodDetail.do?kitNbr=1178

It gives you video and audio in. Of course the resolution stinks--you would never use it for anything other than framing a shot. However it fits in the palm of your hand, runs for hours on the internal batteries, and I found it's semi-16:9 and semi-underscan so it does a much better job with the framing than the LCD on my Gl-2. It is also a lot more visible in direct sunlight. Oh yes, you can also sneak in a quick game of Mario Bros between shots :)

So if you have access to a gameboy this is probably the cheapest way to monitor your cam.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #18
Major Player

I know of a few news photos who velcro the little 5" LCD s to thier battery bricks.
very handy in setting up live shots and just a little extra comfort for an experimental white balance.
all ENG broadcast cams have black and white view finders.
I am thinking of doing this myself actually.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Lorinda,

Sorry for disappearing off this forum for awhile -- I've been busy with other videos (not requiring the crane). Unfortunately it's been packed away in the garage for the winter (I'm in Wisconsin), but let me see if I can describe it in more detail.

The arm you had asked about it actually just a piece of flatiron about 1" wide and 12" long. There's a hole in the end where the 1/4" bolt goes through from the bottom and screws into the tripod thread on the camera (the one being used for the viewfinder).

The other end is very simple to attach with my setup. The hardware that allows the main crane arm to swing around in a circle is made from a piece of 1 1/2" (I think) black metal pipe and a matching pipe flange. The pipe is welded to the homemade tripod, and the flange bolts to a metal plate (to which the rest of the arm mechanism attaches). The arm swings around by rotating the joint between them.

I just used one of these bolts on the flange as the mounting point for the viewfinder arm.

I don't know if this helps much. If you would still like a picture I can probably do something in 3D and email that to you.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #20
Wrangler

Hi Jeremy,

Not to worry. I'd kind of forgotten about it!

Well, all that sort of makes sense, but I confess that every time the word "flange" shows up my brain says, "huh?" Sorry to be so dense.

I don't want you to do anything in 3D--not yet anyway (sounds like a lot of work). Let me run this description past some guys I know--it'll probably make sense to them.

Thanks for the help!

Lorinda
p.s. Peretti.....one of my favorite writers.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Lorinda,

I forgot that I already have a couple photos of it. They don't show its construction that well, but I think they'll help you figure out what I've been trying to describe.

I'll email them to you for now (so watch your junk mail folder) -- if someone else wants to see them let me know here and I'll try to post them online. Otherwise I'll do my best to remember to get some better photos of it next time I have it set up (for all you DIY-type people).

Jeremy
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software