Finally got a REAL production monitor- a few questions..... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #16
Trustee

I also have a 36" Sony WEGA XBR HDTV. Both the manual and the menu describe the Warm setting as NTSC-Standard. So I keep it at that setting. I would assume Warm=6500K.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #17
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Lefchik : I also have a 36" Sony WEGA XBR HDTV. Both the manual and the menu describe the Warm setting as NTSC-Standard. So I keep it at that setting. I would assume Warm=6500K. -->>>

Yes when you select Warm it's called "Warm NTSC-STD". My concern is 1) Most clients don't have Sony XBR televisions with selectable color temps.... and 2) Even if they did the majority will have it set at neutral (that's even how it is in ALL preset modes by default- Vivid, Standard, Movie, Pro, etc)
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #18
Trustee

Glen,

You're right, most people wouldn't have such televisions, and since nearly all TVs are set at D93 it wouldn't make any difference anyway. I guess it's up to each of us what color spec we use. I myself prefer D65 since it is, after all, the NTSC standard. That's what I've set the Sony WEGA TV as well as my broadcast monitor at.

To each his own...
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #19
Wrangler

I just want to feel validated in my purchase of a $1500 production monitor. I don't want to think that because I'm going to be editing in D93 that it will make it "inaccurate" and no better than using a conusmer TV to do the editing.

Heck, even the LCD screens on my cams look more like D93 than D65.

I like the 800 lines of resolution- the true SMPT phosphors, and the ability to calibrate using Blue Only. I'm hoping with these additions it will make it considerably more accurate than what I used to use...a little cheap 14" Best Buy special consumer TV.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 01:37 AM   #20
Major Player

What if you're shooting PAL. Should you still use the 65K color temperture or is that what the higher one is for?

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software