Using computer monitor (LCD or CRT) for HD monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 7th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Using computer monitor (LCD or CRT) for HD monitor?

I'm trying to figure out a decent location monitor for the FX1.

As much as wanting to be able to check the image, I want to allow my clients to see the HD image as we're shooting.

So, how about using an LCD computer monitor on location?

Out from the camera with the component connection, convert to DVI or VGA with an adapter (if one exists) and go to the monitor.

Thoughts?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #2

You could, except that your computer likely can't display and decode the transport stream in HD. keep in mind you can use the cam in HD mode while sending composite or Y/C output to an SD monitor. Not quite as sweet, but for framing/composition/lighting, it should serve fairly well.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I wasn't thinking of running it through a computer, straight from the camera to the monitor (using an adapter of some kind to go from component to DVI or VGA).

I used to have an old CRT connected via VGA to an RCA HD tuner back before I had an HDTV. No computer, straight connection. In this case the HD tuner had a VGA out.
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Using something like this:

http://www.ps2modchip.com/VGAA.php

Plug the component from the camera into this, and then output via VGA to a computer monitor, either CRT or LCD.
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Major Player

I have my doubts as to the quality of the modchip box. The phrase "HDTV Colorimetry Matrix" doesn't tell me much about the conversion. Also, will a 16x9 image be letterboxed on a 4x3 display? Can I use a 16x9 monitor? Will the signal be downsampled to VGA? How does it handle de-interlacing 1080i onto an essentially progressive display device?

There's probably a reason why this costs ten times as much:

www.blackmagic-design.com/site/hdlink.htm

I've seen this unit in demo and it is impressive. Fortunately, the price of used Apple Cinema Displays has dropped now that the new, silver-bezel 23" and 30" are out. Now if someone could figure out how to power it from an Anton Bauer Brick, and Porta-Brace would make a travel case...
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I have my doubts as to the quality of the modchip box. The phrase "HDTV Colorimetry Matrix" doesn't tell me much about the conversion. Also, will a 16x9 image be letterboxed on a 4x3 display? Can I use a 16x9 monitor? Will the signal be downsampled to VGA? How does it handle de-interlacing 1080i onto an essentially progressive display device?

There's probably a reason why this costs ten times as much:

www.blackmagic-design.com/site/hdlink.htm

I've seen this unit in demo and it is impressive. Fortunately, the price of used Apple Cinema Displays has dropped now that the new, silver-bezel 23" and 30" are out. Now if someone could figure out how to power it from an Anton Bauer Brick, and Porta-Brace would make a travel case...

On preview:
I forgot the HDLink was only SDI.
Component>SDI converter?
www.shotview.com
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #7
Major Player

I have hp's L2335 23" 1920x1200 lcd both home and at work.
It has analog hd component in straight from camera. No additional boxes or anything. Picture quality isn't exactly high end broadcacst quality, but neither is the price...
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, I figured that the HDLink, etc. would be too pricey for anyone in the market for an FX-1/Z-1. How can the LCD's best be run off battery power to make it an effective field monitor?
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Use car battery and an inverter.
Usually if setup is big enough to have "clients" on set, there's also electricity around...
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

See:

http://www.hdtvbuyer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=30493

and

http://www.erg-ventures.com

for the ERG HDM-EV85, (not cheap, though).
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM   #11
Hollywood Studio Rentals

The cheap way

I had a shoot 2 weeks ago that used 2-Z1's and a CineAlta. The show shoots mostly exteriors and the DP wanted an HD display. Well, I have a JVC 1910 with HD-SDI, YPbPr and other cards but I didn't want them schlepping around a 60lb. $15000 studio monitor. Coincidentally, I ordered and received a Samsung 17in HD LCD 16:9 monitor receiver w/YPbPr inputs that I bought for my kitchen. While we were testing it (the Samsung) at the store, we figured we'd try hooking up the 900 and the Z1's. Yes, it worked and gave a very good representation of the camcorder's image. We shot 30p stuff and added a 1000w inverter that hooked up to the camera trucks battery. Ran a 50ft stinger to home base and it worked fine. The shoot is now done and I can safely report that the 17in TV is on my kitchen wall on a cool OmniMount , 5 days later than anticipated. I would think several manufacturers have LCD sets that will give an OK (read: suitable) image. (The 900 in 24p also was able to be displayed but had some minor retrace noise in it). Not perfect, but only $700. Including the wall mount.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software