Thank You SmallHD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Closed Thread

Old November 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Just tools!

It never ceases to amaze me how people get so passionate about "things" that are just tools.

I own a lot of camera and support equipment, but there isn't one item among them that I don't consider just a tool. Yes, some tools are better than others, and more used than others, but still just tools that I use in my day to day work routine. When a tool no longer works for me, I replace it.

The best thing the DP1 has going for it is Dale Bakus. He has a great business model philosophy, and is candid and forthcoming about his SmallHD products. I liken the company to RED when they first started up.

That said, the DP1 is not yet a fully mature product (maybe that's why its called the DP "one").

I don't own one, but I did use one for a week shooting a commercial (mostly exteriors). The unit we were using (on a 2nd RED One), had distinct blocking and artifacts in the 0 to 25IRE range (since fixed via software), and even with the excellent sun hood, was almost unusable on the exterior shots we were shooting.

If you have a white or light colored shirt on and are shooting exteriors, when you try and look at the monitor (even with the sun hood on), all you see is the reflection of your shirt. Now, I well understand the reasoning behind using a glossy screen, but that reasoning has to be tempered with a usability factor.

I do like the form factor and bullet proof build, which would make the DP1 a very likely candidate for rental house purchases, but the lack of being able to use a standard unregulated power supply pretty much negates this.

In time (like the RED) it will be a mature product, and I hope to buy a few. But for now, it just doesn't fit my requirements.

I own and use Panasonic, Marshall, and ikan monitors, and they are all good units. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. The Marshall BT-LH80WU has "wild" frame lines (very useful for shooting Super 35), the ikan V5600 is small and at times, just the right size for the right job. The Marshall V-LCD84SB-AFHD is an excellent all around daylight use monitor.

Different tools for different jobs, nothing more, nothing less.
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Giobbé View Post
...The best thing the DP1 has going for it is Dale Backus.
Enzo, I have to agree on that point! Dale and his partner set the tone for everything we do. It is one of the reasons that all the photos on our site can be viewed in their original form and we offer a generous return policy. The last thing we want is a client with a monitor that does not meet their needs.

You are correct, the DP1 is not the perfect monitor, but we are working on it.

BTW: Based on customer feedback, we now have custom matte screen protectors that reduces but does not totally eliminate glare. It does soften the image a bit as would be the case with any non-reflective surface. Hopefully we can post some images on the website so you can see the difference.

-reed
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Finnegan View Post
If only the DP1 didn't cost an arm and a leg and had different power options!
Sean, what type of power options would you like to see?

Sorry about the arm and leg thing. We are doing everything possible to keep the cost down.

-reed
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #19
Major Player

Hey Reed, welcome to DVI!

I for one haven't really had a problem with the "lack" of "options" for power. I really do love the DP1's battery, and I understand why it is what it is - they're beautifully designed, and provide adequate run time, while keeping weight and size to a minimum. Very impressive, I must say.

However, I guess now that you ask, I could put this out there. I recently bought a Glidecam X-22, which has an Anton Bauer mount on the sled. I've spoken with dale about the possibility of using some sort of cord or converter to pull power from the D-tap (I'm using Dionic 90 batteries) to power the DP1. Is there ANY way to do this? Having not used ABs before, I didn't realize at first that they didn't provide a regulated output. Do you have any idea how I could regulate that power to a stable 12v that I could use for either the DP1 or EX1 or both?

Sorry if it seems a bit off topic, but I figured I'd throw that one request out there! Never hurts to ask :-)
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Anton Bauer D-Tap

Trevor, that would be putting the cart before the horse. The equipment end is what has to accept unregulated power. I don't know about the EX1, but the EX3 (with a power plug adapter) will run of off the Anton Bauer D-Tap / Dionic 90 combo.

You can also plug an Anton Bauer multi-tap into the battery plate D-Tap socket to get 4 power outlet sockets (or just take a D-Tap shell apart and solder in some more wires).
Old November 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM   #21
Major Player

Hey Enzo,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, after a bit of research I did realize that the EX1 does accept power directly from AB sources. I actually ended up purchasing the FGM-EX1 battery plate, which has a 44" cable built in to power the EX1. I'm going to run that cord up into the X-22's post, replace the existing AB plate with the FGM-EX1 and I'll be set. I'm also having a regulated adapter built to power the DP1 from the D-Tap connector.

Thanks again!

(BTW The DP1 looks right at home on the new Glidecam X-22... pretty sweet stuff!)
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #22
Regular Crew

DP1 on the Glidecam

Trevor, please keep us updated on your progress.

I would not think that the DP1 would work very well on a flying rig (glossy screen, not high enough contrast ratio on day for day shots, etc.), and using that sun hood would be out of the question. How are you going to feed a component signal to it?

While I agree that size and form factor wise, it would make a good flying rig monitor, I think that it is not very well suited for that task, and may be a bit of overkill.

Basically all you need on a flying rig is a high contrast Etch A Sketch.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Enzo,

I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I haven't had much issue with the DP1 outdoors without the sunhood - since the main issue will be framing, i suspect that I'll be able to see enough, if not more than enough on the DP1 to be able to fly it just fine. If not, I'll throw one of their matte screen.

Truth is, I've got two DP1s and just wanted to see how this thing did on the rig - the X-22 came with it's own 7" monitor, but it's SD and looks like crap... the DP1 looks right at home, and the little bit of extra weight is nice. I'm a fan of overkill, even if it doesn't work the first time - it's worth a try right? :)

I am going to buy an extra component cable for the EX1 and cut it to feed it through the hole in the tube near the stage. I know it'll be a bit of an ordeal, but it will be simple enough to match up the wires again and splice 'em back together. I'm also feeding power to the EX1 up through the center tube from an Anton Bauer FGM-EX1 mount that will be here next week.

I'm all for customizing stuff and keeping it clean and streamlined - the rig should work nicely once I've got all of this sorted out in the next week or two. Will keep you posted!
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I just received my $989 DP1 with a bunch of accessories included in the price.

It is enclosed in a aluminum case, well built, and has a very clear and sharp picture.

Are their other monitors better or have more pixels or lines or resolutions for a cheaper price? I don't know? Don't care to find out, cause I chose this one to fit my needs right now!

Get the shot with what you got, life is too short!!

Melvin
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM   #25
Tourist

IKan VX9

Looking to purchase Ikan VX9 for my EX1, and my Jib, however you all talk about the Marshall being so great. Thanks, Tim
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #26
Tourist

Ikan VX9

Yes, I do expect to purchase a "small monitor." I saw a reference to VX9 here and thought this would be a good place. Sorry, I never used this in the past and I'm lacking the proper protocol.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Ah, I see the problem. SmallHD is not an adjective -- it is a specific brand name which is made by neither Ikan nor Marshall.

Each of these monitors has plenty of its own threads.
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #28
Inner Circle

If a company comes out with a great product and someone starts a thread on it, and almost a year later it is still present, well that does infact make a pretty solid statement of its own!!!

I use the dp1 in the lab hooked to my xlh1 when I am capturing so I can easily see what is in view easily instead of my black and white view finder (I use hd link). I use it for more articulate focus when on the pod. I use it for visual on the steady cam. I really do not need all the small things like blu gun, sdi, etc. This is the first real hd monitor I could justify spending my hard earned bucks on. now if I was dog rich, where would I go? who knows.

I suspect there are a lot more people out there using it like myself as apposeed to those at the "higher End" so to speak.

I repeat, this is a great product, priced well, and super highly functional.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM   #29
Sponsor: iKan Corp.

I really appreciate the link and the information and especially the feedback. Most of the time I try to sit back and address issues on the forums as they come up in the interest of good customer relations. I do this to clear any misconceptions and especially to address any concerns a customer my have about a product.

In the interest of defending the good name of our company, I became a bit overzealous, and I would formally like to apologize. I would also like to thank all those who have voiced their views here as it has given me great insight into what I should be doing.

Thank you for your patience, and I hope you all will forgive me for this error in judgment.

Thank you.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software