Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI-SB vs Ikan V5600 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 29th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Piotr yes my 70P does the same thing. Never noticed that before I guess I was busy.

Agree not matter which monitor I still use my H700 Hoodman but that is not enough with the 70P in a few of my flights where I am shooting backlit. Just can see it well enough to nail focus.

No worry Ryan I needed a monitor quick and researched but not the way i usually do. Yea Texas is a bit far.
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Another issue:

The main reason I have chosen the 70P Marshall as my second monitor (in addition to the 10.9", 1366x768 Manhattan) have been its peaking and false color functions. However, I find the peaking to be a bit too "aggressive", i.e. it also displays on edges that aren't necessarily in perfect focus (it's enough for them to be contrasty enough).

The same can happen with the EX1 peaking when set to "high", but here you can decrease the sensitivity to medium or low, which gets rid of the problem and displays the peaking on truly sharp edges only.

Do you have the same problem, and if so - is there any way to alleviate it (I can't see any peaking "tuning" functions in the Marshall menu)?
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:25 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Paul I received my J-Clamp and it works great on the EX handle. The 8" arm give me loads of options on where to mount the monitor for viewing/balance.

Yesterday I used the monitor for the first time on a 5 hrs flight. I powered with the Sony BP-U60 in cold temps 35F with up to 110 kts of wind 1' from the monitor and it ran well. The battery was still 1/2 full when we landed.

The monitor did have one problem. About 4 hrs in it starting giving a little flash every once in a while. We were shooting in low light at that time and it was cold. But the flash was not as bright as a still camera flash but similar with about 1/5 the intensity. I will run the monitor for hours today while I edit in my office and see if something similar happens. Just to check since it has to work again tomorrow in a studio. More on this as I learn what is happening.
Thanks for letting me know Paul! Don't know how I missed this at the time (mind you I wasn't getting any notifications for a while).
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Piotr I will have to check on the Peaking on the monitor to see if it can be adjusted.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Paul, did you an the opportunity to check the peaking?

On another note:

- for monitor like the Marshall 70P (with only 250 nits brightness), is it better to use the glossy or matte screen protection?

The matte one is supposed to reduce reflections (welcome in sun light), while the glossy one is supposed to better preserve the contrast and colors... Difficult choice, so I'd do with some advise from those who actually tried both!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:02 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Piotr just checked it and you can only turn peaking on and off no fine tune adjustment like the EX line of cameras.

The 250 nits is the problem I have with the monitor. I think i will sell it and go for the 6.5 HDMI so I can use it on my EX350, and 7d. As for EX1 i would go component. Also i think it is 500 nits.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Paul,

If I were you, I'd rather go for the SWIT S-1080FYU HD/SD-SDI/HDMI/YUV 8" TFT Monitor:

SWIT S-1080FY HD/SD-SDI/HDMI/YUV 8" TFT Monitor - Proactive

With peaking, waveform display, BP battery plate as well as XLR DC input, and 400 nits, it could really be worth selling your current Marshall! The 6.5" Marshall I somehow dismissed right away not only because of its higher price, but also due to the fact that, at its 4:3 aspect ratio, the higher resolution real estate is not being fully taken advantage of with 16:9 picture from the EX1. You however will be using your monitor with the 7d as well, so the last point doesn't apply.

I considered this one even before buying the Marshall, but it's too expensive for me at this moment...
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Interesting monitor. I don't see peaking?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Interesting monitor. I don't see peaking?
From the Proactive page I linked to (in the 'Description' tab - look for Focus Assist; BTW I just noticed it also has the meters display for SDI-embedded audio!):

Common Key monitor Features are :-

HD/SD-SDI Input x 2
HD/SD-SDI Output x 1
HDMI Input
YUV Input
Composite Input
Waveform Display
Focus Assist Function
SDI Embedded Audio Bar Display
Overscan and Underscan Function
Safety Marker
Flip image
16:9/4:3 Switchable
Blue Only
12V DC XLR Connection
Internal Colour bar
4 x Custom Pre Set Configuration Keys
Tally Lamp
Title Edit- Name the monitor ( Camera 1 etc)
Stereo Phono Analogue Audio Input
In-Built Speaker
Headphone Input (3.5mm Jack)

Waveform Display - The monitor has a Waveform display showing Luminance Levels (HD-SDI Only)

Focus Assist - Unique Focus Assist that displays a colour fringe around the subject when in focus. (HD-SDI Only)

Customise key edit of 4 main F1 Buttons. Selection can be: - Bar Display, Zoom, Blue Only, Title, Overscan/Underscan, Aspect Ratio, Flip, Colour bar, Zebra, Monochrome.

Multi-Function Menu - Quickly access and change the source inputs, Marker size, Contrast, Brightness, Hue, Saturation, Sharpness and Volume.

The Monitor is supplied in a stylish pre-moulded case with AC-DC 12V Adapter, Operation Manual, Screen Protector, Shoulder Strap, UK Mains cable, Sun Hood, Mounting Bracket, Phono Audio Cable, 1.5m BNC Cable
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:22 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Focus Assist - Unique Focus Assist that displays a colour fringe around the subject when in focus. (HD-SDI Only)
Thanks Piotr I missed the info above doing too many things today. Thanks I will look into this option.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Paul, it even seems to have zebra display - it's mentioned in the "assignable function buttons" section!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Piotr I saw that. This seems like a great monitor. They are located only 1 hr from me in Boston so I might stop by on a shoot I have coming up in a week to test one out.

Appreciate your help.
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
PS Information from Robert Foster of Marshall: the HDMI flaw in False Color mode can be fixed by your local Marshall dealer (also in EU).
Hi Piotr. Can you elaborate more on this. Sent an email to lcdracks but did not get an answer and I don't think italian resellers knows the flaw.. Did your polish reseller fixed it?
Thanks
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Hi Alvise.

Robert is a very busy person, but he did answer my emails and assured me the fixed firmware (when ready) will be put on Marshall web site and down-loadable. Marshall will even allow end users like us to apply the fix for ourselves, using the mini-USB service port on the monitor - which is great.

Robert also stated the fix is "almost done" (in his email dated January 13th). He also promised me to pass my comments regarding the peaking being too sensitive to their engineers, so hopefully the new firmware will contain some fix for that, too (this is my wishful thinking - Robert didn't say this :)).

As to local resellers in EU - well, the Polish distributor also learnt from myself about the flaw, but they were very helpful and ready to apply the fix for me even though I didn't buy from them. But - given what I said above - I'm going to try on my own; as soon as I know the fix is available I'll notify you guys in this thread.
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Hey Paul (Cronin) - did you end up going with the Marshall 651 or what did you end up doing?
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software