Wireless Monitoring solutions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Monitoring solutions?

I was looking for a way to run a wireless monitoring set up. We need it for steadicam monitoring cause lets face it, A cable running off the steadicam to a monitor would not work well on many fronts.

Anyone know any good ideas? I am not looking for serious range here, just like 100 feet.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Major Player

A shooter buddy of mine uses the Titan Transvideo system with good results.

Transvideo - Titan micro waves transmission system

There's also the IDX HD monitoring system (camwave?), which I've seen in action on a bodyrig. Very bombproof, very expensive.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Anything cheaper? Anyone have an idea for something that is not necessarily made to do it but could? I don't need to record off this feed, I just want a way to monitor the shot.
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

A search at B&H comes up with a number of hits which might be promising: wireless video equipment
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Wrangler

You might also want to look through Supercircuits.com.

Keep in mind that some of the cheapest solutions (and some of the more expensive ones) nominally require a license to operate.

SD transmitters are plentiful but if you are shooting in HD, your camera needs to be able to output SD as well otherwise you will need a downconverter. Fortunately many prosumer cameras do this (always baffling to me since many pro ones don't)!
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I've been intrigued for something like this customized for a handheld director's monitor. If anybody takes a plunge and gives any a try, please let me know. There are a lot of super compact "dime sized" transmitters that seem to require a massive AC powered receiver. Some of these packages seem awesome until you notice the 5-5.v transmitter range. Not sure what battery would power that.

hmm. links for thought:

LM 500mW 2.4Ghz Combo [LM240500C] - $89.95USD : New Generation Hobbies, The Art of FPV Flying

Hi Cam - Aerial Video Systems - wireless camera downlink transmitter remote control R/C plane helicopter

700 FT Wireless Pocket Size Audio/Video Transmitter/Receiver

lots of options here: ARF Video Systems : New Generation Hobbies, The Art of FPV Flying
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Just found this. I like the "unit just connects to the bnc port" aspect. Still have to tap/mount a battery to the camera though. I've seen this same pairing for like $200. At $26, It seems impossibly cheap. I might take a gamble for the heck of it, depending on how absurd shipping is.

2.4G Wireless Audio / Video transmitter and receiver / BNC Input for Wired Camera - Buy DVR Video Recorders,Spy,IP,CCTV,Wireless,Car Cameras from China dropshopper.
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That last one only cost $25 to ship it from China as well, Looks kinda Legit... I would order it right now but I have to wait for my bank to reverse a charge, then I need to switch banks, and wait 2 weeks for my new card. THEN, I will order it..

Looks like it would work for my needs, I just need a feed from like 100 feet away to the inside of my Jeep. Should work for me!
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Found a page on ebay with that same transmitter (search for 2.4ghz bnc) It listed the transmitter as 10mw. That seems really really low. Kinda fits with that super tiny antenna though.

This one is bigger, and requires its own mount, but listed as 3000mw. 2.4G 3000mW Wireless AV Transmitter & Receiver 3W 4xCh - eBay (item 320441556712 end time Dec-27-09 02:02:40 PST)

You still have to mount a battery either way, which is a challenge. I so like the super tiny form of the bnc one that i wonder if you could get away with a super high gain antenna back at the jeep.

Just thinkin out loud.
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
...Looks kinda Legit...
Just a word of warning: These transmitters are illegal in most countries due to the radiated power. In US, FCC limits the power to less then 15mW for unlicensed users. The only loophole I know of, is if you are a licensed ham radio operator, these transmit right in the ham band. But even then, FCC may not like what this equipment is used for. If you don’t believe me, look at JVC’s LIBRE MICROWAVE PACKAGE, it only transmits 400mW in 2.4GHz band and requires FCC license.

Last edited by Robert Wiejak; November 28th, 2009 at 09:29 AM.
Robert Wiejak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software