Quad Splitter with a video mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Quad Splitter with a video mixer

Is anybody using a Quad Splitter with a video mixer? I use three cameras Sony Z7 to shoot some events (concerts, parties, corporate meetings, etc). To mix the video I use an Edirol V-8 video mixer. Taking 5 monitors every time is hectic. Could I use a Quad Splitter? (something like the ones used for CCTv) I would like to have the three Sony Z7 on one screen. How big should the monitor be? Would it work fine? Please, share your experience.
Thank you.
Pablo Montano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Major Player

I've done it, and it works well. The only drawback is that the image won't be clear enough to visually check focus.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

Knowing that this particular issue relates to SD cameras, this is off-track but to help anyone who might be able to use the following information with HD cameras:

Redbyte (now Decimator) Design is making two products that might be of interest for quad splits with HD cameras.

The Decimator Quad will allow users to display 4 images from HD cameras downconverted to an SD quad split. The MD-Quad will show an HD quad split (probably much more useful), and has both HDMI and HD-SDI outputs. It can even be used as a simple switcher. Pretty cool little unit.

Decimator Design - Home
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Charles, thanks for sharing. Now if only the Quad Split had a pass though for each of the 4 inputs, it could be used as an inline camera preview for multi camera live switched. As it is, it would be pretty much useless without 4 separate splitters prior to the Quad Split for THAT SPECIFIC purpose.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software