DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Ikan VX9 Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/476573-ikan-vx9-review.html)

Juan McFarland May 23rd, 2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cook (Post 1528044)
lol Juan how does one report of one monitor failing 'not bode well' for any manufacturer? Its going to happen, its not ideal particularly under these circumstances but please keep reality in perspective when posting.

I've read 4 reviews for this monitor, Olof's was by far the most credible as he actually paid for the monitor he is reviewing and it failed in one month. That is reality and that is bad.

Andrew Dean May 23rd, 2010 11:59 PM

Meh. All products have duds. Thats nothing to get freaked out about. Its time to freak if a factory visit doesn't fix it, or reasonable service is refused, or overcharged. Doesn't sound like thats the case here at all.

Olof Ekbergh May 28th, 2010 11:58 AM

I got my new monitor a few days ago. I have not had a chance to use it on a shoot yet, but it seems to work just fine.

Ikan shipped it as they said they would. If I get a chance this weekend I ill test it with the 5DmkII and 7D.

It is currently mounted to my EX1R setup ready to shoot.

David Settlemoir October 20th, 2010 10:39 AM

How's the Ikan VX9 holding up? I'm trying to decide between the Ikan and the upgraded Marshall 70XP SDI.

David

Olof Ekbergh October 27th, 2010 06:58 AM

David, the VX9 is doing very well. I use it almost every day now. No reliability problems. And I think it is really pretty rugged.

I installed a non reflective plexiglass in front of the very shiny screen, and that really helps a lot, I loose some of the sharpness feeing, but I can still focus fine. I feel better about having some protection on a screen this size in the field.

I use it a lot as a teleprompter and it works very well for that, the non reflective screen helps there.

I just got the new 5" Marshall, It is very impressive in my initial tests. It also has a very shiny screen.

As far as I know the Ikan is still the only HDMI and SDI small screen available, and that makes it very useful.

David Settlemoir October 27th, 2010 04:24 PM

Thanks Olof!

Looks like I may pick a VX9 up soon for a project.

David

Meryem Ersoz April 23rd, 2011 08:57 AM

Re: Ikan VX9 Review

Clint - I have a question for you. I want to pick up a VX9 and be able to use the HD-SDI with my RED camera. I have read some vague allusions to the VX9 needing to be re-clocked to work with a RED.

Is this accurate? How does one go about re-clocking the monitor? Will you be putting notes on the Ikan website about how to do this - there's something in the blog, but it doesn't help offer much in the way of guidance for potential buyers...just a sort of notion that "the signal, which wasn't working, is working now since we re-clocked the monitor with an AJA card."

I'm looking for something which would work with a RED and also a 7D - this monitor looks like a good option but that re-clocking thing has me worried. The B&H site says the monitor is "RED compatible" but if it isn't coming out of the box that way (or is it,now?), is this an entirely accurate claim?

I see that B&H has a special on these through this month, and I really want to pick one up, but if it requires more gear to re-clock the monitor, it seems that the price break, then, isn't really much of a break.

Can you address this and give me the most up to date information on where the monitor stands in terms of its HD-SDI compatability with the RED? Thanks -