Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitors

Hi i do apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

Hi i am looking at a HD 2nd monitor for my production edit suite to join with my imac and when i get a macbook pro feed it up to there.

I have looked and i love the apple 23 inch to 24 inch monitors but they are pricey

are the dell or sharp or even LG models any good?

do any of you have these?

Thanks

Ollie
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ollie
I have had a Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor for a couple of years and am very pleased with it.
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah thanks for the reply?

is it a good monitor? i am looking for 2nd hand apple monitors most of them have dead pixels

how much are the Dell 24 inch? are the Lg any good?

Thanks

Ollie
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #4
Major Player

I think that PC Pro magazine did reviews of both monitors. You can probably find them online.
Here's one:
Dell UltraSharp U2410 review | Monitors | Reviews | PC Pro
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

I use the Mac screens they really are better.

If you do any photography at all, you will really appreciate that Aperture will show you exactly what a print from a calibrated printer will look like, and ordering prints or books in Aperture come out perfect. You don't have to mess with color profiles at all, just use the apple settings.

I have also found them to be pretty close to NTSC monitors when using AJA Kona and Matrox MX02 with real evaluation monitors, not perfect but close.
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I have also found them to be pretty close to NTSC monitors when using AJA Kona and Matrox MX02 with real evaluation monitors, not perfect but close.
I often "rough in" my colour correction on my Apple monitor (using FCP's Scopes tools) and then touch up on my broadcast monitor before output. The key here is to make sure you haven't "messed up" your settings. The biggest adjustments are normally related to the Red channel - not a huge surprise here in NTSC land...
Old April 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Trustee

I've relied on my Dell 2405 and 2408FPW's for years and they are so much nicer than Apple's imho. the input selection alone makes it worthwhile. The fact you can get 2 Dell's for what you pay for one Apple doesn't hurt either. To color match my printer, I got a Spyder 3 Elite and since using that tool, I've never had an issue in either the video or print worlds.

I used to work for a company that had all Apple monitors and there were all sorts of issues that really turned me off even though I've been a Mac user for over 20 years. For some reason, they seemed to wear out much faster than the Dells. Every one of them had an unexplained "desaturated" band at the top no matter what computer it was hooked to (mac pro, mac mini, imac, macbook pro) I will say they were a bit easier on the eyes than the Dells but the lack of adjustments really is a turn off to me.
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys

yeah apple seems very pricey

How are the Dells then i am looking at about 22 inch maybe 24 if i could stretch the costs

are the LG any good?

Thanks
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software