Manhattan HD071A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Manhattan HD071A

After endless debating, researching and budget crunching I have pulled the trigger and ordered this monitor. I will post again with a review as soon as I can. Anyone else using this? What are your thoughts?
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Major Player

So here's my initial thoughts on the HD071A.

Build: Good, fairly solid construction. When you first turn the monitor on it flashes white, which always freaks me out but immediately afterward the logo comes up and everything seems okay.

Picture: Very nice. Not too small, which was something I was afraid of. This can be used for focus very well. Outdoors the picture is still good, although without the sun hood this unit would be worthless outdoors.

Cons: The biggest problem I have with this monitor is that there is no available hardware from Manhattan designed for mounting it. It does have mounting screwholes on the top and bottom, but this unit is fairly heavy when the sunhood is on - it makes it cumbersome as well. I've tried various hardware to attach it to both the camera or the tripod, with varying degrees of success. It definitely feels too heavy to mount to the hot shoe on the camera, so I had to come up with alternative positioning. I've managed to attach it to the tripod using some lighting clamps I had lying around. Manhattan could easily add another $100 or so to every order if they came up with a good mounting solution and added it to their lineup.

I haven't used this on a shoot yet, but am looking forward to it - I think it will be a great addition to my kit.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Bill for the write-up. I was gonna' get the HD701A when I ordered Monday but they were outta' the Sun Hoods and I need something by the weekend. Vincent was helpful and I would up with the 089B instead. Probably a little large to use on the Multirig but we'll see.

I agree 100% about the idea of them providing mounting solutions as well. I'm new to video but will say that that finding a decent mounting solution has been the hardest thing so far and one I woulda' thought would have been the easiest!!! Manhattan should add a few accessories like mounts and some kind of case and, given what seems to be their target audience, I'm guessing they'd sell stuff with every order. I'm glad I got the Manhattan, but it was very tempting looking at the other entry level monitor kits from Ikan and Tote where you could place one order and get everything and know it would work.

Last edited by Robert Richardson; April 30th, 2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: horrible spelling
Robert Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software