Which TV-set? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which TV-set?

I want to buy a new tv-screen for displaying my weddingvideos (and homewatching) at a weddingfair.
Whch "main specifications" determines i'm buying the right set?
Pixel ratio?
thnx
Jan Vanhoecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Major Player

It's all personal preference. Specs alone don't make or break the product; it's also how you will use it, with what source materials you'll be feeding it and how you personally like the picture quality.

A suggestion; study up on the specs, read some online reviews of whatever set your interested in and most importantly...go and see it in person.

One persons trash, is another persons treasure!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Start off by deciding what size screen you want. This may decide for you the technology (LCD or plasma). Minimum size for plasma is 42"/107cm so all smaller screens will be LCD.

Plasmas are said to have of better blacks & better contrast but also a a reputation for screen burn where static images can become permanent shadows on the screen.

A Full HD 1920x1080 pixel screen is better for HD video.

LCD screens particularly the newer so-called LED screens (these are really LCD screens with an LED backlight) are thinner, lighter & more portable than plasma screens so if you are transporting to a Wedding Fair this might be an important consideration for you.

The price of large screen TVs has fallen enormously in the last few years. Five years ago I bought a 1368x768 pixel 46"/116cm LCD for €3000 (approx $3800) but can now buy a similar size 1920x1080 screen for a quarter of that price.

We recently wanted a TV to demonstrate our videos & bought a 32"/81cm 1920x1080 LCD TV from a local supermarket for just €299. It was a 'no-name' & not a Sony, Samsung or Panasonic but it has a great picture with very good contrast. It is large enough to put on an exhibition stand but with that resolution can be viewed from close up & the HD picture still looks amazing. It is also very light & portable.

Ultimately you need to look at some screens before making you choice so I suggest that you go into a big retailer where they will have dozens on display & see what size & design you like best.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software