New EVF's from Redrock and Zacuto at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New EVF's from Redrock and Zacuto

Interesting - new EVF's for HDSLR's (or any cam with HDMI out) and nicely priced, the Redrock is expected to be around $595!

Redrock Micro - microEVF

Zacuto Announces Z-Finder EVF ? Tech Tilt

For me the Redrock is a clear winner on ergonomics AND price, but the form-factor of the Zacuto poses an interesting Question - would a smallhd DP6 plus a loupe be the better option given it affords you the best of both worlds?

Interesting...
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Also really liking the Redrock. The Zacuto seems very overpriced (as most of their stuff is) and the form factor is clunky. Not to mention, it's not a true EVF. It's just a monitor with a loupe... I don't see any advantage of this over the LCD on the back of the camera in that case.

I love the DP6, but it's probably better used as a monitor. A loupe attachment is possible, I'm sure (Charles Papert has a custom-made loupe for a monitor about the size of a DP6) but it would be challenging to get adequate edge-to-edge sharpness out of the optics in a loupe attachment on a monitor this size. Also, there's the weight... while the DP6 isn't heavy, I'm sure an EVF is quite a bit lighter.

They both have their purposes. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the redrock EVF.... now we just gotta see how long that'll take. I'm still waiting on the MicroRemote ;)
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Trustee

wait till we see the resolution of those toys.
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
wait till we see the resolution of those toys.
The Zacuto is 800x480. The delivery date is February/March 2011.

It;s not so easy to figure out the resolution of the Redrock piece. It is stated as High resolution full color HD display & greater resolution than the rear LCD on Canon EOS camera bodies but 1.2m total dots

HD should mean at least 1280x720 but that is 921,600 pixels. 1920x1080 would yield 2,138,400 pixels. So I suspect that the reference to 'dots' is using the same weasel words as Canon when referring to their LCDs as they count 3 'dots' for each pixel (for R, G & B). In this case the Redrock EVF would have 400K pixels which is brings us back to around the same level as the Zacuto EVF which at 800x480 is 384K pixels.

So both EVFs have the same 800x480 pixel resolution. This is a higher resolution than the Canon 5DII LCD (640x480 described by Canon as 921,000-dot VGA) or T2i/550D (720x480 described by Canon as 1,040,000-dot VGA) but only just.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Nigel - Id been searching for that info but couldn't find anything concrete. I guessed the resolution would be around that figure given the size of the lcd's - especially in the redrock.

Still given the way you use an EVF this resolution should actually be more than sufficient so I wouldnt get to hung up on the 'its only 800*480'. Time will tell I guess.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software