DisplayPort and video out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 25th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Major Player

DisplayPort and video out

I'm running Adobe Premiere CS5 on a Dell Precision M4500. The machine is equipped with a Displayport. There is an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter available online. Has anyone tried to connect this to an HDMI monitor? I'm looking for simple mobile HDMI monitoring during editing. Color correction will happen at a later date so color fidelity isn't an issue just yet. Is this possible?

TIA...

P.S., I can connect a Matrox MXO2 mini to the machine via its ExpressCard slot, but would rather spend $20 for an adapter rather than $500.00 for simple monitoring during moble editing. Thoughts?
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Wrangler

Should work fine; just double check to make sure you order the correct gender for each side of the connector so your cables fit. I don't think I've done DisplayPort to HDMI, but haven't heard of anyone having problems and for me DP to DVI and DVI to HDMI have both worked perfectly well.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Trustee

If color isn't an issue, then you can mix and match anything and work in any video space. DVI-HDMI-DP-HDSDI-VGA etc. Any adapter will do fine.
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Very cool. The adapter is only about $20.00, so it's worth a shot. Thanks for the input!
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #5
New Boot

Recently connected my HP laptop with DisplayPort to a Sharp Aquos HDTV that has HDMI in. Worked just fine.
Ben Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Not only will it work, but it will be color accurate. CS5 makes this possible.

ProVideo Coalition.com: TecnoTur by Allan Tépper
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tori View Post
Not only will it work, but it will be color accurate. CS5 makes this possible.
Sorry, but the connection's interface does not determine color accuracy. Good color accuracy (for HD) begins at $2,000+ LCDs (Dreamcolor, Eizo).
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Trustee

it's high time somebody wrote a definitive book on the subject....maybe in this new year!
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Sorry, but the connection's interface does not determine color accuracy. Good color accuracy (for HD) begins at $2,000+ LCDs (Dreamcolor, Eizo).
I did not say that the connection interface determines accuracy. I said that the connection in question in combination with CS5 will be color accurate. Up until now, using computer HDMI or Displayport would yield insufficient results. CS5 changes all this. It is no longer necessary to have a pro i/o for color correction purposes. Read the link I posted to learn more.

Even if you do not yet have CS5, accurate color correction can be had for much less than you stated. A simple Blackmagic Intensity card is @$200, which will get correct colors to a monitor. Sony's LMD series of monitors can be had at @$1,000 to start which are factory calibrated to display 709 space accurately.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software