New Windows 7 Computer - Black Border On Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Major Player

New Windows 7 Computer - Black Border On Monitor

I just received my new Dell XPS7100 computer paired with a Dell ST232OL 23.5" monitor I was using with my previous computer. The graphics card is ATI Radeon HD5870 1gig. Monitor is hooked up through HDMI out on the graphics card.

Problem is that the monitor has abut a one inch black border all the way around it. The screen is not being filled. I thought that someone else had this same problem on this forum or another but could not find it in my searches.

The only thing I have found in my searching for an answer was to open the Catalyst Control Center go to a certain section and adjust "scaling". Hower when I tried to do that my CCC did not show a scaling option to adjust.

I also looked at the monitors settings and the input is correctly set to HDMI and the screen to "fill" vs 4.3.

Any ideas how to fix this?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Major Player

What's the native resolution on the monitor? 1920x1080? Sounds like the display card isn't set for the same resolution of the monitor (probably set to a lower res). Check the display resolution settings in Windows and set it to match the monitor.

Martin
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Martin, the monitor is 1920 x 1080 and that is what the graphics card is set for the same. I tried changing the graphics card resolution to different settings to see if it changed anything but it does not. This has me stumped!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi, DJ.................

If the monitor didn't have this problem with your previous system (which I assume it didn't) what's changed?

Same monitor? Yep.

Same connection type? Ah, is it, tho?

Same card? No.

Try changing the HDMI for what I assume was Component connections or DVI and see if the "Fill Screen/ Fit to Screen" does the necessary.

The other culprit which "MAY" be a problem here is HDCP.

If the new card has it and the screen does not, the card will not send a full HD signal to the screen under any circumstances on the HDMI connection.

DVI did not use HDCP so will work, HDMI which is DVI in another wrapper, does and won't for full 1920 X 1080.

If you've got a Full HD telly with HDMI, see if the O/P from the card fills that screen. If it does, it's possibly a HDCP problem.

Best I can do for the moment.

Good luck.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software