nice suprise! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 5th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

nice suprise!

so, i've always wanted a 7" external display since the screen on the hmc-40 is super sucky.

i was actually saving up about 400$ to purchase one of the lower end one...

i own a 7" dysplay, but it had a surrounding that actually makes it about 15".
it was a TOTEVISION and that's it, that's all i knew about...
until today, when i found 4 screws that "held" the 15" surrounding bracket.

undid those bolts and voila!
the screen BECAME smaller!!!

and that point i was super happy, that's when i was able to tell the model.
it is a LCD-703HD
you know how now days everything says HD, right? so not to get y hopes really high i said, this shurely has to be crap.

looked up the model on BHphotography and bahm, a slap on the face,

this is are the specs:

Quote:
The Tote Vision LCD-703 is a 7" LCD designed to work with a bevy of inputs, including component, s-video, and DVI. The display also supports RS-232 through its serial port, allowing users to attach external remote control devices. Features such as NTSC/PAL auto-detection, underscan, and anti-glare technology make the LCD-703 a perfect choice for a wide variety of applications. This package comes equipped with a rechargeable battery, AC adapter, and monitor case.

Automatic NTSC or PAL Recognition
The monitors accept both NTSC and PAL standard signals. Conveniently, the monitor automatically detects which standard it is being fed without having to push a button, flip a switch, or access a menu option.

RS-232 Support
The LCD-703HD comes equipped with RS-232 support, making it easy to customize controls through the addition of serial-based remote control devices. This can be especially useful in broadcast studio environments.

Multiple Inputs
What sets the LCD-703HD is its wide array of inputs, supporting a whole assortment of standard signals. Inputs include both S-Video and DVI, making it versatile in both the analog and digital arena.

Anti-Glare Coating
The LCD come treated with a coasting of anti-glare material providing additional comfort when viewing in less than ideal lighting conditions.
and that's when i saw the price

719$!!!!

woot?

and i've been kicking this thing around for 2 years wihtout knowing!

that's a surprise!!!

and guess what, i actually have 2 of them :)

so, i thought i should share.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507053-REG/Tote_Vision_LCD_703HD_KIT_LCD_703HD_KIT_7_LCD_Field.html
Alejandro Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: nice suprise!

Yeah, but it still isn't HD. The screen resolution is 800 x 480, according to the specs. The same as on my $79, 9" Sony DVD players.

Not to rain on your parade, but there still aren't any economical small external monitors that actually display any form of HD in HD. Especially if you need a bunch of them.

Just don't want anyone to be misled into thinking this is an HD display. As the review on the page you linked to notes, it's probably fine if you are not using it for focusing.
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: nice suprise!

u r right...
still, pretty bad ass :)

i just need it to frame, not to color correct :P

good thing is that with the HMC, i can keep the histogram on the camera LCD and the video on the external LCD.
Alejandro Vargas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software