Laptop monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Laptop monitor

Just wondering....... is it possible to use a macbook pro for video monitor?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Laptop monitor

It's easy with an HDV cam via firewire - the problem is there is significant latency. 2 second delay.
I use it occasionally with OnLocation or even QuicktimePro.

I would think latency would be present with any hardware solution, as well.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I assume you mean a monitor for a live camera shot. Your Macbook has specific input ports: USB, Firewire.

The quality of the result and color issues of computer screens aside:
1)Your camera has recording formats and output ports.
2) By connecting a camera output port to the computer or device that interfaces to the computer, running the camera in a format that puts a signal on that output port, and running software that captures video on the computer's input port, you will have conceptually monitored the camera video on the computer display.

For example, DV and HDV are camera recording formats that can be transmitted over Firewire. Using one of those camera modes, a FIrewire cable to the Macbook Pro and running QuickTime Pro, iMovie, or FCP will monitor your video and audio (with a slight lag)

Other formats such as Component and SDI require some conversion devices and may or may not be able to hook up to your particular model laptop.... eventually it begs a different question: Given the price of HDMI and SDI field monitors from Marshall, SmallHD and others, is it worth it to try and use the laptop?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks les and Mark, I have an Ikan monitor for my HX-A1, but the thought occurred to me my computer sits around doing nothing, and the picture is better on the Macbook. How do I set up my computer to use as a monitor, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks!
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Connect it with a firewire cable . . .
I use OnLocation part of CS5 suite - discontinued in 5.5 and 6.

or . . . Quicktime Pro -> new movie recording (go to preferences to select the XH as the input - Camera must be on and in record mode) - you can actually use it to capture direct to your hard drive in HDV format. It's a hassle starting and stopping, though. Making a new Movie each time.
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
...I have an Ikan monitor for my HX-A1, but the thought occurred to me my computer sits around doing nothing, and the picture is better on the Macbook. ...
How are you hooking up the Ikan? If it's composite, then yes, the HDV over firewire into a Macbook should be an improvement. If you are hooking up the Ikan with component video, your getting the HD signal and I'd think it would be a decent image.
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
Connect it with a firewire cable . . .
I use OnLocation part of CS5 suite - discontinued in 5.5 and 6.

or . . . Quicktime Pro -> new movie recording (go to preferences to select the XH as the input - Camera must be on and in record mode) - you can actually use it to capture direct to your hard drive in HDV format. It's a hassle starting and stopping, though. Making a new Movie each time.
Mark, this doesn't capture video onto the hard drive right?
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
How are you hooking up the Ikan? If it's composite, then yes, the HDV over firewire into a Macbook should be an improvement. If you are hooking up the Ikan with component video, your getting the HD signal and I'd think it would be a decent image.
Yea it's a good image for sure, but it's a smaller monitor compared to my 15 inch Macbook.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
...this doesn't capture video onto the hard drive right?
You need not capture to disk if you don't want ti ... QT just gives you a live feed
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for all your help guys!
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software